Why are Christian beliefs held up as "Mythology" and something for ridicule....

Yet I NEVER see direct attacks on Jewish people (who hold a LOT of the same beliefs) or Muslim people (who ALSO believe in a God and a creator. Why is that pieces from the Holy Bible are pulled out and held up for ridicule by people who dont agree with organized religion but OTHER religions are not to be touched and are even DEFENDED by these same people?

**Keep in mind that I am speaking of people who do not believe in any God and think that those of that do are looney. Of COURSE Christians are going to say they have the right store over Jewish people and vice verse. The point is to people who deny any God exists.

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 2:51 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The best thing for a person to do is educate themselves and be confident in their beliefs. However, if you are directly talking about CM, you are SO correct. In the real world, people support one another more often.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Buy-bull stories are held up as myths because they are. If it looks like a myth, sounds like a myth, and acts like a myth, then it must be a myth. I have stated before that the similarities between the story of Hercules and Samson can be spooky, right down to the killing of a lion and wearing of its skin. The seige of Troy may be a longer story, but it contains the same impenetrable walls as the story of Jericho, with a group of soldiers outside trying to get in. It even has the slaughter of every living person inside the walls, including women, children and infants. The killing of the cyclops by Ulysses bears more than a little similarity with the story of David and Goliath. And the virgin birth of Jesus has been echoed in hundreds of god-man stories throughout civilization BEFORE his time.. Christians and the bible are attacked because they are so pushy. Jews and Muslims aren't.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 5:25 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Because atheists don't want to believe that they are held accountable for their actions in this life. Or they had something bad happen to them and believe that God shouldn't have allowed it, so they reject Him because life isn't fair to their standards..

Quite the opposite. As an atheist, I am accountable for EVERYTHING that goes on in my life. God didn't do it. The devil didn't do it. Nothing is somebody else's will. I am where I am because of my own choices and actions.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:05 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Because Jews don't constantly shove their beliefs down other people's throats like most Christians do.  You will find that the vast majority of the time that a Christian is being mocked started out with the Christian bible thumping.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:22 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Your point that Jews and Muslims are not picked on enough ;) Don't worry - Atheists don't believe in their God (isn't it the same God?) either. But honestly, I've never had a Muslim or Jew try to convert me, knock on my door at 10 am on a Saturday, tell me I'm going to hell because I don't believe what they believe, etc.. They simply don't demand the attention that Christians do, imo.
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 4:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Probably because Christians are the main people they encounter....vocal christians, that is.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Why are Christian beliefs held up as "Mythology"

Probably because Christians are the ones usually insisting that about every religion but their own. Either they all are or none are, you don't get to pick and choose.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:05 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• sounds to me like you haven't walked in anyone else's shoes. you don't think Jews or Muslims have experienced any hate or ignorance or ridicule because of their religion? Hello???? perhaps the only reason there is this perception regarding Christianity in this country is because it is the dominant religion in both the number of people who are Christian as well as the strength in numbers that dominates the political and social agenda in many cases that likes to oppress people of other religions (including non-religion). those of us who reject Christianity because of its similarity to Greek mythology, for example, probably feel the same way about other religions, however, don't have Jews and Muslims in our face telling us what to do with our lives in the name of religion. the point is that you can't use your beliefs to dictate to others and expect them not to react.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 4:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• When Scipio Africanus (Scipio Africanus, for Christ's sake) is described as the Son of God, born of a mortal woman, we understand that as a myth.
    So how come when Jesus is described as
    the Son of God,
    born of a mortal woman,
    according to prophecy,
    turning water into wine,
    raising girls from the dead, and
    healing blind men with his spittle,
    and setting it up so His believers got eternal life in Heaven contemplating the unutterable, indescribable glory of God, and off to Hell for the bad folks...
    how come that's not a myth? Now only when it's pushed at me do i open it up to ridicule. It works for you great not me. And thanks To Pagan Origins of the Christ Myth for my cut/paste info. It would have killed me to type it all out myself.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:57 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Although I rarely debate religion, I have read many debates between non-believers and Jews/Muslims. However, I do have to add that sometimes some Christians do set themselves up for ridicule with their contradictory and idiotic responses.
    PurdueMom

Answer by PurdueMom at 2:58 PM on Jul. 5, 2010