Have you (or anyone in your family) tried a gluten free diet?

Why did you try this diet?
Did it help/make a difference?
How difficult was it to be consistent?

I'm considering trying a gluten free diet for my son who might have ADHD. Thoughts?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 2:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I am working my way into a gluten free diet. It is hard to quit cold turkey. I tried that. I was a lot healthier for it, but I went on a binge after a while. Now I am just slowly cutting it out. I have to because my health depends on it. I noticed that I had less bloating and better concentration without the gluten. And I had more energy. I really do like it, but I find it hard to stick to because food is addictive.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 7:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My oldest son went gluten (and soy) free because a blood test showed he's sensitive to it. Unfortunately we did not see any change in him at all. It was very hard on him and sucked for me, and was a huge disappointment without any results. We haven't been sticking to it over the summer, but will probably give it another shot before school starts.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:58 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• We did it as a family for a year - gluten free/casein free for my son with autism. It made no difference whatsoever, we saw no changes in him. He has actually made much more progress being off the diet than being on it. It was extremely difficult and expensive!
    I have friends who use and swear by it for their kids, and it might help for some, it just did nothing for mine.

Answer by missanc at 9:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2010