Have you (or anyone in your family) tried a gluten free diet?

Why did you try this diet?
Did it help/make a difference?
How difficult was it to be consistent?

I'm considering trying a gluten free diet for my son who might have ADHD. Thoughts?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 2:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I started a gluten free diet about 5 months ago and it's really been helping me. I reseached the diet because I am recovering from adrenal exhaustion and doctors just could not seem to get me any relief from my fatigue. I sleep better, have more energy during the day and I've lost weight (an unexpected bonus).There are some very good books you can get, Gluten Free Girl and The G Free Diet.
    Like any other eating plan it just takes a little planning. Every grocery store I go to has a gluten free section which makes it easier.
    I make my shopping list and plan my menus just like I normally would, only gluten free. There are really good recipes online also.
    I'ts certainly worth trying for 90 days to see if your son experiences any benifit from the diet. What have you got to loose?
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 3:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• my sister who is 36 is on this. she says its difficult because she is the only one in a family of 5 on it. so she makes two different meals all the time.

she says she felt better right away, she has Celiac Disease.

EmilyAnn1012

Answer by EmilyAnn1012 at 3:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• We are gluten free....I only eat fruits and vegetables.

Being gluten free is easy if you don't mind letting go of bread...gluten free bread tends to be rubbish and bread isn't very good for you anyway. Try reading grain damage by doug graham.

I think being gluten free with a kid is very easy...my son is very happy with eating lots of fruits and vegetables.

Also being consistent is easy because there are many gluten free products available..although I think that its best to take the opportunity to make things from scratch. Lots of cooking sauces have gluten and wheat in.

Well eating the way I do gives me more energy, a more balance mind and I eat foods easily digested by the body and highly nutritious.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 3:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I tried it for mine and my daughter's ADHD last summer. To be honest, I don't think it helped our symptoms much, but we are mostly ADD, so there was no hyperactive component with us (idk if that has anything to do with it though). My friend has celiac disease and recommended The Gluten-Free Bible which is an awesome source for information.

I will probably go back to being gluten free after we get my dd's comprehensive evaluation done. I want to know how much of her issues are ADHD, and how much is processing issues, etc. We kind of let things slide when we went trough some stressful times the past several months. I do think it made me feel better and more energetic. The biggest obstacle for my dd was that she loves bread. We call her the carb queen because she lives for pasta, bread, etc. But we found substitutes that seemed to be fine for her.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 3:15 PM on Jul. 5, 2010