Re-homing vs Sale Price

I know a lot of people charge a re-homing fee in hopes that it will insure a better home. Personally I've never thought it helps. Anyone who wants an animal bad enough will pay for it no matter the price. It doesn't guarantee that the animal is going to a new home. Disagree or agree?

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 2:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Pets

• I've heard the same thing, don't just give the pet away, there is a better chance that it will get a good home if someone is willing to pay. This makes sense to me.

Answer by Bmat at 3:00 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I agree. Money doesn't make a good pet owner.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:01 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Some people have gotten free pets and then sold them for profit or to be used for horrible purposes like dog fighting. A max rehoming fee should be the min cost of having what the pet has had done at the vet. If the pet has had shots and been sterilized then the rehoming fee should be what it would cost to have that done at a place like the Humane Society. Keeping that in mind, a max for a pet that has had all it's shots and has been sterilized would be around $100. Anything more is selling the pet.

If someone can't pay $100 then you need to be concerned that if something happened to the pet they couldn't get the vet care they needed. They may not be able to buy good food.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I'd have to disagree, nothing truly ensures that the pet will find a good home, if a pet is free or inexpensive some may just see it as nothing or easy to replace, however, if the pet costs an amount not easily parted with then it is likely they will take a more serious approach to the pet. Allow me to give an example.

Say a person puts up an add for a free pug (or even with a small to moderate re-homing fee) , many (and I mean MANY) will respond with out knowing or caring what it takes to properly care for a pug, their health needs, problems the breed has etc. I had seen on craigs that one person was angry because a owner was asking for a 600$ re-homing fee and they could give the dog a good home but not afford to pay the fee. Now from experience I know their health care is not cheep, if the person could not afford the fee they could not afford a pug!
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 9:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I have to disagree that money doesn't make a good pet owner... If I had to rehome a dog I would want the person to be able to pay an adoption fee to show that they were serious and that they could afford a dog! If you don't have money how are you going to give them decent food? Afford expensive vet bills should something come up or happen to them? Grooming, toys, etc? IMO if you can't afford a $100-200 adoption fee then you certainly can't afford a dog! Most of the rescues around her charge $200-350 for an adoption fee, but they have to keep their rescues going and pay for food, shots, spay/neuter, vet bills for other dogs, etc. So I think it's reasonable. And like someone else said, if you don't charge a fee there are people out there that will adopt the dog just to turn around and try to sell it!

Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:35 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Gailll, that really depends on where you live, you can't get a dog fixed in this area for less than $100 and that's without doing the recommended blood work 1st or getting more pain meds than for the 1st 24 hours, etc... most vets here charge more like 200-300 for a spay/neuter. So it could easily cost $300-400 for a dog that is fixed and up to date on shots.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:38 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I grew up with animals all my life. I also grew up very poor. Our dogs were very loved, always had a home. Its true we couldn't afford the most expensive vet bills. However they had a good home. They were not mistreated, They were always fed. There are too many animals in the shelter to deny a home based on money. Would you rather a dog be euthanized, or have a home that couldn't pay $2000 for a surgery that "might" be needed in the future.
    SalemWitchChild

Comment by SalemWitchChild (original poster) at 6:48 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I'm picking up a kitten tomorrow, free. I have to spend over $300 to get the shots, tests, etc. and spaying for when it is time. I have checked all of that out. This isn't my first cat, my other cats lived for over 12 years. They were rescue cats as this one is. If the place had gotten the shots, etc. I would have paid for that. I don't think I should have to pay much or anything for a rescue cat when I am taking care of all of its vet's bills, etc. We just spent over $200 on "kitten proofing" our house and buying it fresh toys, litter, food, etc. I just bought an insurance policy on it. I would say we are very responsible pet owners.
    joysings

Answer by joysings at 10:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2010