cooking

Ok I really need some help. Dh and I are trying to eat better. He doesn't like fish (i do) and we are getting really sick of chicken and ground turkey all the time. I live in an apartemnt and i have very basic cooking tools and really not that many of them lol. I am going shopping later tonight and i want to get stuff where i can make HEALTHY FAST CHEAP meals. I have looked on tons of websites but it is a lot of info and i my brain hurts lol. So any suggestions would be helopful..he is a really picky eater btw

momofone072506

Asked by momofone072506 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I would suggest tofu.....can't stand it myself but some ppl like it and it's healthy. It's a shame your DH doesn't care for fish b/c that is really a good change. I'll look up some recipes for you on some other ideas.
    momof3angela

Answer by momof3angela at 3:07 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Other meats? Lean beef, pork roast. How about instead of chicken pieces cook a turkey, turkey breast, or other turkey pieces. There are lots of good vegetarian foods. Or how about skipping the meat- dried beans (baked beans, chili with beans) are high in protein, especially when combined with grains or milk products- mac and cheese (grain and dairy.)

Answer by Bmat at 3:08 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Start planning your meals around veggies and/or whole grains. Think salad with a couple of strips of steak in it. Or taco salad with chili/beans. Or pasta with veggies and maybe one cut up sausage in it or something like that. I tried not to say chicken for you, how did I do?

Think completely different than you did before, that helps me. Look in the paper or at the stores' website and see what's on sale. if it is fresh it tastes better.

kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Tacos, spaghetti (made with whole wheat pasta), meatloaf parmigiana served with spaghetti (made kind of like a hamburger but you put spaghetti sauce and mozz. cheese on top when it's done cooking......in a frying pan on top the stove), meatloaf, spaghetti squash, grilled chicken salad, soups, pork tenderloin sliced skinny and cooked in fry pan in olive oil, beef stew.

If you have a crock pot get a Lean & Healthy Fix it and Forget it cookbook......there are a lot of yummy recipes in there and you can mix most of them up the night before and then have them cook all day to cut down on prep time. In the summer it works really good because it also won't heat up your kitchen.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 3:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I have a ton of recipes that are healthy, simple, tasty, family and budget friendly. Send me a message offlist if you would like some...

Answer by rkoloms at 4:09 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• You should try making chinese food in a wok. It's really not that hard to do. It's fast and easy and tastes really great. There are many different entrees you can make in one. You can use beef, pork, chicken and the many sauces and vegetables that can be added to make it taste different. There are some of the more recognized menu items like pepper steak, chicken with broccoli, etc. It's all healthy eating and it doesn't take away the great taste as well.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• This is a great time of year to make changes towards a healthier diet.I agree with the poster who suggested beans;they are an excellent choice in place of higher fat proteins.Eggs,combined with fresh veggies and low-fat cheese for omelets are also good choices,and very inexpensive.Pastas are now available in whole grain versions,and have tons of protein.I would learn to make soups and stews using cuts of meat that are lower in fat,and therefore need low,slow cooking to tenderize.Add lots of herbs and veggies and eat without guilt.Try roasting a chicken,or better yet,a turkey,for sandwiches and salads that are cheap and healthy way beyond the original meal.Good luck.Try to have fun and approach it like an adventure.
    daye62

Answer by daye62 at 7:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Go to the library and check out some of their cookbooks! It's a great way to try new things without being overwhelmed, and if you like several of the recipes, then you know it's worth buying the book. I've used several vegetarian cookbooks, as well as cookbooks about Mediterranean (Italian, Greek, Spanish, Southern France, Middle Eastern) cuisine -- all very healthy.
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 7:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2010