Do you think it's stupid when two people in the same family name their child the same thing?

On both my side and my husband's side this has happened. In both cases the children are FIRST cousins one set is one year apart the other is four years apart. I think it's stupid.

mlregalado

Asked by mlregalado at 3:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Baby Names

• Something similar almost happened a couple of times in my family. The same name was picked out by two moms, pregnant at the same time and the first child born "got it". The other family is resentful of the first family for "using" that name. OMG, there is always drama about something in families, isn't there?
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 3:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• No big deal. Sounds like they both just really liked the name.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• If was intentional then yes, probaly not the best move.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 3:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I think that parents should name their children what they want and not worry about everyone else. Do the names have special meaning for the family? If that is the case then that is very normal for more than one child to have that name.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I think it's good for children to have unconfusing names. That would include not having the same name as someone that is in their daily life. I wouldn't and didn't give my sons their father's name. If the cousins aren't around each other much I don't think that having the same name would be an issue.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• It makes geneology a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Spazz0828

Answer by Spazz0828 at 3:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• It's kinda weird, especially at family functions I'm sure, but no one can top the stupidity of George Foreman, lol!
    racheljessee

Answer by racheljessee at 7:27 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• maybe if they dont see each other often, dont live closely and they really liked the names... than whatever, its their kids!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 8:35 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I wouldn't do it!! But both of my sister inlaws did. My oldest sister inlaw had a boy and named him Caleb. Then 9 years later my youngest sister inlaw names her son Caleb. I have no idea why but it really upset my older sis inlaw
    My3LittleGirls

Answer by My3LittleGirls at 8:44 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• my oldest uncles middle son is daniel(by his first name) and my yougest uncles son is daniel(and that is his second middle name)...so my youngest uncle decided to call him daniel...so in that case i hate it because we had to go with big daniel and little daniel, and the youngest daniel gets mad when we call him little>:/
    usmcgruntwife

Answer by usmcgruntwife at 10:07 PM on Jul. 5, 2010