Should I get a Doula or will hubby be enough?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My daughters father was enough.
    Spazz0828

Answer by Spazz0828 at 3:22 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Well, if your husband is anything like mine was you will want a Doula!
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 3:22 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• most definately a female doula. 5 stars and never a man, ever
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 3:23 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• my hubby was enough, he surprised me actually, being so much more helpful than i ever expected :)
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 3:23 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Doula. Your husband should not have to fill that role. The doula will be there to make things easier for both you and your husband. You will decrease your chance of ending up with a C-section.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• It depends. Does your husband freak out and lose his mind if he is stressed? Or is he very calm and level headed during stress?

My husband, though I love him more than anything is a ball of nerves if I am hurting and I spent more time comforting him, than I did working through my pain. I will say he was much better by the time the third baby came along though.
    But the fisrt two times he was freaking out.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My husband was more than enough, he was amazing and 2 of the 3 times the doctor allowed him to deliver the baby and he still managed to coach me through it. Not all men can be a good support person. Personally I have never understood the whole doula thing but i am lucky to have supportive people, i can see how it would be good for those who dont have that support in place

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:30 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• You know...I always thought I'd hate having a doula. I don't like being touched, I don't like sappy females, and I tend to snap at people if I'm in that much pain and they are in my grill too much. But the few chances my midwife got to talk me through the breathing during contractions...they actually were sooo much better. DH did what I wanted or needed him to do without a problem...but I don't think you can substitute the experience of knowing what doula's know. They learn positions and when ur transitioning and need even more encouragement and the right way to breath and all that jazz. I think I'm definitely going to hire one next time around.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 3:34 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My SO was no help WHATSOEVER!!!! He fell asleep! I would recommend one, I know I sure wish I had had one!!!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:43 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• It depends on what you want. I personally would never have wanted a doula, but some people do.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:51 PM on Jul. 5, 2010