Should I let my doctor strip my membranes? Would it put me in labor? Anyone ever had this done?

What is your experiences with this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I did it, and I would recommend it.
    Spazz0828

Answer by Spazz0828 at 3:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• IMO, I would not encourage vaginal exams as they can introduce bacteria into the vagina. And, I would simply wait until baby made it's appearance when it is ready not try to jumpstart anything. That being said, lots of folks let that be done and it either works or it doesn't, like everything else.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:28 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Nooooooooooooo. It's not nice to fool with mother nature. You increase your risk of infection and there is no scientific proof that it does any good.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:28 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I had it done with my latest baby and it took 6 days for me to go into labor. i dont know if thats good or bad. i do know that it hurt like heck!
    renniemom3

Answer by renniemom3 at 3:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I did it twice, the first time I had contractions for a few hrs but nothing..... the 2nd time I went into labor that night
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:40 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• It hurt more than labor!

Answer by rkoloms at 4:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• It's hurts and does nothing. If you like pain for no reason, then go right ahead.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 4:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I had it done once, had contractions for a few hours but then they stoped and nothing, I still ended up having to be incuded a week later.
    bshelly

Answer by bshelly at 4:23 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I would recommend it, it could help with starting labor.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 4:28 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I had it done... it didn't work so much for me. It hurt... A LOT. Next time around, if I'm really desperate to try things to jumpstart labor, maybe I'll do it again. I remember bawling afterward - and I have a pretty high pain tollerance - my daughter was 9 lbs 13 oz.. If you do it, just be prepared :) Good luck!
    cschwanger

Answer by cschwanger at 9:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2010