For moms who had their sons circumcised

Did your sons penis have a little bit of extra/loose skin after the circumcision was healed?

Sorry, but I'm concerned, my sons 6months and still has some loose/extra skin that I have to move back, doc said it's normal but I don't know. And where the incision was seemed to be knicked open just a little, like the size of a dot but it's still concerning, we are brining him in later today to have it looked at by another doctor.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Being a mom of four boys, all circumcised I think a little extra skin hanging around is normal. Each one is different however. The foreskin does need to be gently moved back to clean under it or the skin will adhere to the skrud(my doctor told me this is the medical term lol) that gets under it. My 5 yr old has a lil more skin on one side than the other which is a little odd. If you feel you need another opinion, you get it!
    wahea

Answer by wahea at 4:00 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Don't mess with it! Even is a boy isn't circumcised no one should try to push the foreskin back. It doesn't need stretched or cleaned.

Yes, they botched my oldest son's circ 30 years ago. He had to have a second surgery. His younger brothers were not circumcised. I shouldn't have listened to my husband and left my oldest son intact.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• You shouldn't mess with any skin on the head of a boy's penis whether circumsized or not. Even circumsized men have a tiny bit of skin at the head of their penis that is just the way it is. By pulling it back you probably pulled the skin open yourself. The incision is all the way around the head of the penis not just in one spot.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 3:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Everything I've heard and read on the topic suggests that this is pretty common, and that you should retract any remaining skin to clean the area. The irony is that many people think that this is what you are supposed to do with an intact child, when it's not, it's actually something you only need to do for a circumcised child.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:30 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Some doctors take more of the foreskin than others. It sounds like the doctor who did your son's circ left some of the foreskin. It's perfectly okay and fine, and it's not a problem at all. If his incision is reopening then that could be a sign of infection and you should definately have that looked at, but if it is just still healing then it's okay
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Gailll, since the foreskin was already retracted to perform the circ it needs to continue to be retracted and cleaned. ONce it's retractable it must be kept clean. If it had been left alone then it would still be adhered to the glans, but since it's not, it must be kept clean.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• oly has skin below the head of his penis. like on the shaft thats some extra skin bt nowhere near the head....
    mommyajay

Answer by mommyajay at 7:21 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• hmmm im no dr, but that didnt happen with my son. No extra skin or anything.
    Trotterswife

Answer by Trotterswife at 3:58 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I have two boys biolgoically and two step sons. All were circumsized. None of them have any 'extra skin". The only isses was-one of them had a little scar tissue over the hole that caused a double stream effect. This was easily corrected, much to my son's disappointment.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:00 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My son has a little bit of extra skin, but no open parts, like you described. My son's doctor said that it's totally normal to have a little extra skin, and that he'll grow into it. Wahea is correct, it does need to be gently moved back so that the skin will not adhere. Still, talk to your son's doctor about it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2010