Should I still have my babies birthday party?

We have everything set for this saturday, but my dad went into the hospital unexpected friday night and is having surgery today and tomorrow. Theres the possibility, you know, something really bad can happen. I feel bad having his party during a time like this but then I feel bad not being able to celebrate my baby's 1st birthday. I mean its going to suck to me anyways cause whatever happens, my mom and dad wont be able to be here for it.

I mean if the worst happens,which im hoping it wont, I prolly will cancel the party, but I dont know... What would yall do?

By the way, I wouldnt know when to reschedule the party cause im having my second baby on the 23. This is all happening during a bad time!

BrittanyD07

Asked by BrittanyD07 at 4:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• Hugs to you. have the party. It''ll be great to look back at the pics later.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:08 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Since the baby is too young to know the difference the party is really for you. I would cancel.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:09 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Go ahead and have the party. Can you talk to your dad about it? See if he wants a phone call during the party? Maybe video it and bring it by for him to see. If everything goes well, maybe have your baby open gifts from your parents in the hospital. I would just see how much he wants to try and be involved or if he wants you to do it all without him.

Congratulations on the new one!!! I will pray for your dad.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:09 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Hey girl..I would say cancel but have it at a later time..like in a month or so when everything calms down.. LIke Gailll said little Mr. is to young to even know the difference.. I had Eliza's second bday like a month and a half after her birthday and to this day she has no Idea..she wouldn't even care ether.. really it's all what in your heart and how you feel..good luck..and let me know whats up..so you can meet Layla..the bun in the ovens new best friend..lol
    mom_angelface

Answer by mom_angelface at 4:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Your child is turning 1. Hate to say this but your child wont know the DIFFERNCE between having the part then and putting it off a week or two for this family emergency. I honestly would put off the party. celebrate a bit on the day, have some cake, a present or two. but she wont know the difference between getting and not getting a party.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Have the party. My FIL was in the hospital with Diabetic induced kidney failure but we already had a party planned for my 2 year old. Kids dont understand disappointments like that. Plus my FIL would have felt awful if he was the reason our son didn't have his birthday party. We had the party. Family took turns visiting him in the hospital. My son had a great day.

My FIL made a full recovery.

Each family is different. My family would have thought having the party was rude if it had been my dad. My DH's family, however, thinks kids come first.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• you are allowed to go on with your life and not let your father's condition control your actions 24/7. you could probably use a little joy in your life. it sucks that your parents won't be there. it doesn't mean that you don't care - but what good does cancelling the party do? what are you going to do instead...?? you don't have to feel guilty about caring for the needs of ALL your family members including your son.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 5:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• What do your parents think? I would postpone it, unless you've purchased good food that can't be frozen. then I would have it anyway, take lots of pics and send video to mom and dad.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I would talk it over with your family and see if they feel up to celebrating and having the party or not. If so, have the party, and enjoy the day and take lots of pictures to share with your parents. If not then postpone it.
    I hope all goes well with your dad's surgery.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 6:05 PM on Jul. 5, 2010