Which are you?

This morning a friend of mine and I discussed this and now another question made me think of it again. Some people believe housework and chasing kids is a "workout" ( I agree it is work)

Others believe that those are things your body is used to so it gives you no extra physical benefit, that you need to actually workout as in a fitness routine to maintain a healthy body.

It is true a body will adjust to a workout if you never change it up and therefore you will not see anymore progress until you change your routine.

I am just curious what type are you?

Me I was the house work and chasing kids is enough type until i realized that i wasnt losing weight and i had no energy then i turned into the need to workout type.

3_ring_circus_

Asked by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:07 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• i have lost weight lately
    and do not do workout
    however other factors could be in play

stress, not sleeping enough
    finding i am making dinner for family and i have not eaten yet today
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• It is NOT a workout to "chase" kids around all day. If you want a workout, go to the gym or do a workout at home.
    rockinmomto2

Answer by rockinmomto2 at 4:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I consider it a good workout. :-)
    It's not quite the same as spending an hour or two in a gym, but it's a hell of a lot better than sitting on your ass all day!
    The stuff I do with my kid is definitively a workout.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• It's not enough of a workout for me. Normally, people should get 90 minutes of moderate-hard exercise a week. Chasing kids around and doing chores is only a few minutes at a time. Your heart rate just doesn't get up there and stay up there long enough.
    Shymama3

Answer by Shymama3 at 4:15 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Now that I am 40 I have to really up my cardio....so even though chasing after and playing with my kid's and doing housework burns calories...for me, I need more. Walking, eliptical, weights, pilates.
    momof3angela

Answer by momof3angela at 4:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I don't think housework and playing with the kids is a work out, per se. Yes, it's better than nothing, but it doesn't have cardio benefits, and you don't sustain the intensity or length of time necessary to really burn calories and build endurance. For some people blessed with a good metabolism, it might be enough to keep their weight in a healthy range, but for others--including me--it is nowhere near enough. I have 2 kids and I clean, do laundry, sweep, vacuum, scrub bathrooms, etc all the time, as I like a clean house, but it doesn't do a darn thing for my body, lol! I have to exercise 5 days a week, and hour or so per day to maintain my physique.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:49 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Personally, I agree it is a workout, however, in my experience, it did not help me lose the weight. Cardio and sweat is the only thing that works for me...Also, eating a healthy diet.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 8:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2010