in real life,so many young woman,24-28, have a child with Down sindrome,but medical authority say oppositte?

too many bad things is said about "older " mother,I think is some kind of programing and it's very bad for future moms.I know so many older moms with perfectly healthy children,but I've seen about three older father with D.S child?

erike348

Asked by erike348 at 4:14 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Statistics show that it is more common for Down Syndrome children to be born to older mothers. However, in your area, that may not be the case. Since abortion is legal, many Down Syndrome babies don't even get a chance.
    gypsysmiles

Answer by gypsysmiles at 4:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I'm one of those older mothers. I'm pregnant with my 4th right now and I'll be 39 when I have it. They treat me like I belong in a nursing home and am going to have a defective baby because my eggs are old. It's stupid...

I know ONE person who has a child with Down's and she's under 30.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 4:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• An older mother has an increased risk of having a child with Downs Syndrome but since so many more young women have babies there are more babies that have Downs Syndrome that have young mothers than have old mothers.

You think it is "some kind of programming". I think you just don't understand. Sometimes we hear on the news about things that aren't that important and we don't hear about the things that are important. Things may not be put in ways so people can understand. For example, immunizations are good for society even if they don't benefit individuals. My (adult) son had a dT shot yesterday and the information sheet they gave me actually said this. Yet parents don't read the sheets or don't understand that the reason we give so many immunizations is for society not for the child.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:23 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I think older women have an increased risk, that doesn't mean that the younger ones won't have children with downs.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 4:25 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• It's because there are more women who have babies younger in general... How ofen do you see a 40something mom? seriously? But how often do you see young moms in the general public? ratio that is looked at not the actual number.

so if for example
    say the stat is one in every 25 babies born to a 40+ mom will have DS
    say its 1 in every 1250 babies born to a mom 25+ will have DS
    well there are more young moms so it will seem more common in the younger community, but actually the older moms are more likely to carry a DS baby even though there are less of them

make sense?
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:28 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My mother former chief (occulist)has a daughter,26 who were pregnant and all tests shows everything ok but child is born like cerebral paralytic...and my frend,who had bad test result and been sugessted for abortion,which she refused,delivered a beatifull,clever,inteligent and such a talented little boy! I think many people want to scary others,because of their frustration and,like one onest doctor say: It's a pharmakomafia! Money for amniocintesys,tests and donor eggs,which became industrie.Soory because my bad english

erike348

Comment by erike348 (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I think that they should try treating individuals with more individualized care more then just lumping them together in a group. Just because something is a risk factor, doesn't mean that it is a definite. One has to look at the actual percentage. Many risk factors have very low percentages that they will actuall happen.
    squish

Answer by squish at 6:50 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• yeah I agree with squish, what is a risk to one may not be as likely in another. I had a stupid midwife pull that percentage/statistic crap on my when she found out I was a regular user of klonopin (prescribed by a doctor prior to knowing I was preg for years I took it) in the first trimester, I will never forgive her in my mind for seriously scaring the living hell out of me and making me hate myself and feel guilty until I had my 2D ultrasound. Turns out the reality of complications caused by klonopin statistically are so tiny they barely differ from the regular population....but because some study somewhere pulled a statistic out of its ass this nurse was very bias...I switched to an OB b/c they considered me high risk...I was treated completely different and the doc literaly said we would take things and learn things as it comes to be and that is how it should be for everyone, much less stressful!
    mysilentmorning

Answer by mysilentmorning at 7:12 PM on Jul. 5, 2010