im having butt cramps.. could I be in labor?

i am 40 weeks and 4 days along and im having HORRIBLE cramps in one of my butt cheeks. not like period cramps or anything, but they are more like walk-it-off cramps that hurt so bad when i move my legs or walk. my back is also killing me and when i use the bathroom and wipe there is alot of snot looking stuff in there which im guessing is my mucus plug but im not really sure if i should be concerned and go to the hospital or just wait for something else. this is my first pregnancy and i just am ready to finally have this baby but im not sure what to do because i dont want to go to the hospital and get sent home....... :) someone help?

mcdonaldm9696

Asked by mcdonaldm9696 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had horrible lower back pain while in labor...YES you could very well be.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 4:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Yes. Please call your OBGYN or go to the ER.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 4:30 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Uh, I don't think she needs to go to the ER. I say call your care provider and see what they want you to do. You've lost your mucus plug but that doesn't mean you are in labor. Cramps in the butt cheeks... like pain or regular cramps? That's one I haven't heard before. I don't think it's labor pain but it could be. If it's in your lower back, your baby may be posterior and back labor is painful. My doula had me get on all fours and had dh press on my hips during contractions and after a few contractions she turned and my water broke. If you are just having butt pain, I say get a massage because you don't want to deal with that pain while in labor. Just call your care provider and maybe they will check you, but I doubt butt cramps are labor pains, which would be in your abdomen or lower back, not one butt cheek. But, anything is possible I suppose.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 4:36 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I agree with Bella...call your health care provider.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 4:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• i want to call them but they are closed today and im sure i will just get some nurse at the hospital who puts me on hold like last time. i would have already called him when i started losing my plug butt... i guess i'll just have to hold out until tomorrow since i have a dr appt anyway to find out when or if i will be getting induced
    mcdonaldm9696

Comment by mcdonaldm9696 (original poster) at 4:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Butt cramps? It could be from your baby laying on a nerve..
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 9:40 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• it could be the baby laying on a nerve, or it could be back labor and the baby pushing down on ur cervix, which made me have a pain in my butt-but it was like I had to poop-not walk, I'm not entirely sure, but I would advice if it get's worse to go in.
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 11:33 PM on Jul. 5, 2010