Do you plan on teaching your child a 2nd language if you speak it another one at home?

cynprz

Asked by cynprz at 4:36 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The first language for all of my three kids was spanish, they were all born here, when they started school they did not speak english, but it took them all of two weeks to learn, and their spanish first language was never forgotten.

Answer by older at 4:41 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I am danish and I teach that to my boys, but english is the first language in our home.

I believe it is good for the brains developement to learn a second language.

(And if there are spelling errors here, it's cause this is my second language, and I speak it better than I write it...not 'cause my brain is under-developed..... LOL!
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 4:40 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• yep! my DH is chaldean and we teach them half and half, I think its awsome!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 4:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I speak spanish and english. but we dont use spanish at home, hubby does not speak it. my son is having enough issues figuring out english still at age 7 . so i dont plan on putting another language on the plate yet.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:40 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• If you speak two languages at home the child will learn without being taught. I'm learning Spanish so I can teach my grandson before he is 3. After a child is 3 they start to loose their language speaking and learning ability. It takes up a lot of "hardwiring" in the brain and language abilitly is lost so that other things can be learned.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:40 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Actually, teaching both languages at once can enhance his understanding for languages in general and make it easier for him to learn to speak other languages as well.

We only speak english at home, but once we move to Germany i plan to learn, and to teach them German. And once i become pregnant i plan to learn and teach them ASL. (so that we can use it with our baby).
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I admire those who speak more than one language. I only speak the one but have smatterings of a few others. So I taught them how to count in other languages, but I didn't have enough of the other languages to teach them to speak them.

Answer by Bmat at 4:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I taught my son spanish..he understands it but doesn't speak it much. Its funny how my mom talks to him in spanish and he responds in english. I don't force it on him too much since he was already having difficulties in speech because he's autistic. But he gets it.
    youngmm

Answer by youngmm at 4:43 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• English is what my children know but there great grandparents speak Spanish ( from Spain) Also Italian so they are learning that as well.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 4:47 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I plan to teach my son sign language and then spanish.
    MandiDueAug09

Answer by MandiDueAug09 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 5, 2010