YMCA

I'm interested in getting a family membership at my local YMCA so my daughter and I can start excercing as a familyand wanted to know if other moms on here participate in their local Y and how do you like it?

browneyes27

Asked by browneyes27 at 4:41 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Health

• 1. Our local YMCA gives a free week pass to all new members. See if you can get this.
    2. I loved our YMCA. Its small but the child staff seemed to be really nice & all ..
    3. For me/DH/DD it only cost like $30 a month.... They do your membership by income (atleaste here they do)... Or their website says they will work with you if you cant afford.. They believe everyone has the right to fitness... IDK how well they stand up to this, but it is on their site.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:34 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I tried it, honestly I couldn't stand it - there were kids running all over the place unsupervised and it was dirty. I'd do a tour and see if you can get a short-term visitor pass before enrolling. (I know that not all YMCA's are like this, ours is just particularly bad I think.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:43 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• That's messed up, I hope I can try it out first, because that will totally blow if I got the membership and didn't like the place.
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 4:48 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• i used to love it and am trying to see if there is a one where I am planning to move when I went on a tour where I live now they gave me a 2 day trial membership. also you might want to do some volunteerig if they have it it could lower the cost of your membership.
    dynameteduck

Answer by dynameteduck at 4:50 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• That sounds like a great idea.
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 4:58 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I worked for the Y for 4 yrs as a teacher... the only advice I can give you is to go on any day most likely during the hrs that you
    think you and your dd will be there and ask to take a tour... ask about their programs and fees... and I mean ask about the fees...
    when I was there there were some hidden fees ... (membership fees)
    If you are interested in the child-care programs again make a surprise stop to see how things are run....
    The Y I worked for (a branch of) had child-care, summer programs, also fitness programs ALL with different types of costs and
    different ppl in charge...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 5:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I would LOVE to go to our local Y... there are tons of activities, etc.... but at $105/month for the Family, plus a $150 joining fee it's just WAY out of our league!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 5:55 PM on Jul. 5, 2010