Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please Help? Serious trouble.

My daughter got sick and now they want dfacs to come out and help with transportation, I am living at my mom's and her house is unstable. She has no gas, no a/c, and no stove and barely any food and she gets food stamps. She is on drugs. What would you do in my situation? Please no mean answers


Asked by sniyah at 1:12 PM on Jun. 28, 2008 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • Yes, move. Temporarily reside with a good friend or family member. Check out shelters if you have no one else. There are lots of places willing to help women with children, you just have to seek it! I hope all goes well!

    Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

  • Move.

    Answer by elleinad at 1:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

  • I would look ito taking your child to a womens shelter. If dfac is coming out to where you live, and the situation is as bad as you say, you are going to be at serious risk of having your child taken away from you. This is not a mean answer. Just the truth. Do you need help finding a women's shelter in your area to take yourself and child? Let me know. I will do my best to help you. No gas and no stove is enough for dfac to yank your kid on you, not to mention the drug using grandma.

    Answer by vbruno at 1:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

  • vbruno is totally right. They can take your child away if you're in those living conditions. You need to find somewhere else to go. A women's shelter would be a wonderful start. The people there can help you get on your feet so you can support your daughter and take care of her in a safe environment.

    Your daughter needs to see a doctor too. I would maybe have them pick you up at a friend's house or somewhere else. Either that or find another way to get her to the doctor such as the bus or a cab (I don't know how sick she that might not be possible).

    Answer by amethystrse at 2:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

  • i agree theres lots of places that helps women and children

    Answer by Patience1 at 2:43 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

  • There is government housing available in most areas that can help you move into a more stable situation than the one you are in. You can apply for HUD as well. If your mom is on drugs then you don't need your kid around that anyways. I'm not trying to be mean I just have concern for your child. You are grown and can handle your own...your child is just that...a child. I would be happy to help you with some website information or nationwide contact numbers if you would like.

    Answer by HeatherTurner at 4:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

  • I would look into the resources around you and move right away. Your kids are your life and they will take them away if they see those kind of living conditions. Do you have any other family or friends? I hope you find something. Take care and I send best wishes :)

    Answer by amandaberry26 at 4:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

  • Have you tried signing up for govt housing like Section 8 that goes by your income so you can live on your own and out of a situation like that? Our local office reported not long ago that there are available vouchers and no waiting list so a person could just walk in and get approved immediately. I'm not sure how other communities work but in our's if you are homeless (living with your mom with your child can constitute homelessness) you are put at the top of a waiting list anyway so it's worth making a call or stopping by your local Housing Office to see what is available. A shelter is an option but I would think you would want your own home. If you get on Medicaid it will pay for transportation for your child. In our community it pays for doctor visits via taxi and other visits by shuttle bus (shopping, drug store runs, etc) that comes to your door.

    Answer by admckenzie at 5:12 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

  • Move out. Do you work? What type of assistance are you getting? Have you gotten on a list for housing yet? You say all of this stuff about your mom, where is your responsibility for the situation you are in?

    Answer by AKEllen at 7:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

  • I feel terrible about your situation. No mother and child should have to go through that. Research places that can help you - take up a collection - do whatever you have to do. I wish so much that I could help you.

    Answer by ericanow at 8:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2008