How important is family to you?

To me it is extremely important , it defines me and there is nothing I would not do for them. I am refering to blood relatives in general not just immediate family members. I made it a point to pass this passion for family to my now full grown kids, and now I sit and enjoy the fruits of my labor. I know I can die tomorrow knowing that my family will look out for each other, in time of need or not.
Do you ladies pass the same love of family to your kids? Do you often point out that when everyone else turns their back family is the only ones you can count on?

Asked by older at 4:50 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Relationships

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • I feel much the same way as you OP. My family is very big and very, very important to me. My cousins were raised more like siblings to me so It's just a very different atmosphere than many people experience. We are raising our children the same way and hopefully they will understand how important their family is. We also have "chosen" family that we include in this.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 5:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• "Do you often point out that when everyone else turns their back family is the only ones you can count on?"
    Well.. I wish that I could say that that is true..but it's not. As I said many, many times: just because they are related to you, that doesn't mean you have to like them. Toxic people are toxic people and you don't need them in your life...related or not.
    offrdngal

Answer by offrdngal at 4:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I have family that turns on you and is only there when THEY need YOU, not the other way around. My husband and kids are more important to me than anything, and one of my goals is to do better for them than my family did for me.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:58 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I wish my family was like that... Mine is very much tied together, but they definitely don't stick up for each other... The #1 person to me is Dh, our baby growing inside me, and our animals... Everyone else is just as important as my friends! I love my mom and my dad, but they have their own lives now, you know? Just like Dh and I have our own lives! :)

smokisses

Answer by smokisses at 4:53 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Well,I have family that would rather stab you in the back then help you out,so I'm going to say they are not very important.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:53 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I love family as well but many years ago I moved far away from my family because I was a single mom raising 2 bi racial sons in a very high gang area and was afraid they would become active in it since their fathers had died. I reallymiss my family sometimes other times I don't because of the drama my family has constantly going on. I have a lot of mental illnes in my family. I cherish the rrelationship I have with my sons however.
    dynameteduck

Answer by dynameteduck at 4:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I honestly have very little family myself. I only have my parents here in the states and they are very NOT family supportive. oh they are for me and my hubby and child in the home. but they refuse to even ACKNOWLEDGE my older 2 children since they were not born in wedlock and were not raised by me for various reasons. they are still my children. sigh. hubby's family is comprised of alcoholics and drug addicts, gossip mongers and negative people. so no go there. which means our family unit is US, the three of us and that is really it. we CHOOSE our family. we have a few select VERY close friends who we encourage our son to have loyalty and compassion for.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:55 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Sometimes, I feel that my Cuban upbringing has a lot to do with how I feel about family, latinos in general are very close knitted families. I am so sorry to read about those of you who think of some family members as toxic, I can't wrap my head around that, the process of unity has to come early on in life, and if it doesn't happen all kind of hell breaks loose.

Comment by older (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I raise my family the way my parents raised me. To know that you can always count on your family. That you should always be able to count on your family. My kids will treat each other like I treat my sisters. Sure we didn't always get along growing up, but in the end we were very close and knew that they had my back as I did theirs. It is important to me to keep family close and together, keep everyone in contact, and make sure that everyone knows we'll always be there for one another. If you don't have family, who do you have? Ya know?
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:32 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Oh and one more thing .. My family has HELPED define me. They have helped me become who I am today, but ultimately I define myself as an individual. No other person defines me. Though I wouldn't be who I am today without their help, in the end I am my own build. I would do anything for my family as they would for me.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:33 PM on Jul. 5, 2010