How stupid is this? I find it very and I know most will, but had to tell you. I should have maybe called the copes? I don't know maybe not?

yesterday there is a neighbor that doesn't like us long story? We nnever met them. Anyway, he came over asked for my DH he asked if we cared if they let off fireworks yeasterday. They were making sure we wouldn't call the copes on them. Well this guy is in his 30's (smokes pot) and he was letting them off to were I made the kids come in the hosue cause a couple of them blew up before they hit the sky because the way he lit them off and almost landed on our porch there was kids from 1-17 with the 17 having autism and this guy was laying in the middle of the street letting them shoot off over top of him. Then they were letting a 15 year old and a 9 year old let them off. Then I look out again they had the 9 year old in a chair faceing forward and letting them off over him (the mother was alowing it) what the hell is wrong with people?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 4:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in About CafeMom

• Oh my goodness...that is "playing" with fireworks and I would never do that...so dangerous...and scary. I think I would have called the cops out of fear for the kids safety.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:00 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• It would have been better had you called the cops when you saw that happening. Its a little bit too late now. My 16 and 13 yr old light fireworks but we monitor them, we are with them the entire time and they light them and step away. Also here where I live we don't allow the kinds that go way up in the sky.. its illegal but people do it anyway and hope not to be caught.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I don't know if you should have called the cops or not. I would have to be in the situation to know if I would have. But I know next time someone asks if they're ok with you setting off fireworks (and I'll remember this too), the answer should be, "Sure, as long as you're safe."
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 5:05 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• i probably wouldn't have answered the door in the first place - ya know sometimes i'm not prepared to answer the door.... if there was something dangerous going on, i would have called the police whether or not i agreed in the first place - it's one thing to not care about the noise, but if children are in danger then it's a whole different story. i really don't see how smoking pot factors into the whole ordeal. if you're going to be in people's business be in it for the right reasons and do the right things... if you were truly concerned, why didn't you call the cops?
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 5:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• i think the pot comment was not the point of the posted question

i think she was talking about the safety (or lack of safety ) of the children and the adults who were encouraging bad and dangerous behavoirs

imo.....
    if a sane adult is instructing a 9 or older child to safely light fireowrks, one child at a time, and the ones that are ground fireowrks, there may be a lesson in it about the dangers of, ....
    but letting children do everything that a person should not do around firepworks, making a game of chicken out of it!!---is asking for someone to get hurt

i would have been tempted to call police, or ask my husband to go out and tell the adults that the kids will get hurt playing chicken with things that go boom (but i know he would not speak up like that-but i may have)
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• who knows it sound weriod to me
    shannonsmom555

Answer by shannonsmom555 at 5:01 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• By the time they got there,it probably would have been all over anyway. Those are some stupid people! Once when I was little,I was over at my cousin's house on the 4th and someone thought it would be funny to throw a lit cherry bomb under my uncles lawn chair. He ended up with a hole blown in his scrotum! OMG there was so much blood!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:01 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Can't get over the "copes" Lmao..
    youngmm

Answer by youngmm at 5:14 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• yes that much I do know because the neighbornext door that I do talk to does it with them. I am not complaining about the fireworks I am complaining because they were letting a 9 year old light them off and I am complaining because they were putting him in front of the fireworks for them to go over over him. And achualluy it wasn't even his kid it was the neighors kid and she alowed him to do it.
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 5:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• ok so you know someone does pot cause you gossip with other neighbors. GOTCHA OP. that is ALWAYS a 100% reliable source of information. i guess i would say that if this all bothered you SO much, why didnt you call the cops? if you thought it was that bad then how are you ANY different from any of the parents who ALLOWED it to be going on, since you didnt call the cops?

No I didn't gossip about them that is just what the neighbor told me.
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 5:08 PM on Jul. 5, 2010