IS MY 3 YEAR OLD BEHIND?

MY DAUGHTER GOES TO DAYCARE AND MY AUNT IS HER TEACHER. WELL MY AUNT TOLD ME SHE SHOULD BE ABLE TO SPELL HER NAME OUT LOUD WHICH SHE DOES VERY WELL. SHE ALSO SAID SHE SHOULD BE ABLE TO TRACE HER NAME. SHE KNOWS HOW TO TRACE ALL OF THE LETTERS BUT IS REALLY NOT INTERESTED IN IT. SHE'D MUCH RATHER DRAW PICS. SOOO DOES YOUR 3 YEAR OLD KNOW HOW TO DO THIS? IS MY DAUGHTER BEHIND OR OK?

OH AND MY DAUGHTER JUST TURNED 3 IN JULY... :)

xanayda

Asked by xanayda at 10:32 PM on Sep. 29, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• shes fine!! i worked in daycare also with three year olds! she simply has more of an artistic personality. i had four year olds that couldnt do those things. so dont worry! shes doing great!!!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 10:33 PM on Sep. 29, 2008

• My son also turned 3 in july and let me tell you this... Your daughter is A> O> K!!! LOL
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 10:34 PM on Sep. 29, 2008

• Not at three.  If she could do all of that she would be very advanced.  My son will be four in December.  He can write his name in upper and lower case letters.  Not like it should be though. Most are caps and a couple are lowercase.  He has been able to do this for a couple of months now. He can spell his name and is learning how to trace letters.  He has known how to spell his name for maybe four or five months.  Now that is because we work on it.  I plan to homeschool so we work on these things. 

That being said all children are different.  You really cannot compare.  Some of the kids in her class could be older.  Maybe they have parents who work with them.  Maybe they have older siblings and want to be like them.  The little girl next door could write her name the summer she turned three, but she has an older brother she likes to copy.  Not to mention three older cousins.

callansmomma

Answer by callansmomma at 10:38 PM on Sep. 29, 2008

• THANKS LADIES!! She is the youngest out of the rest of her "class" she got moved up the day of her birthday while all of the other kids had been there for months!!!

And yes she LOVES to draw!!! Give that credit to daddy cause i can only draw stick figures!!! ha ha.
    xanayda

Answer by xanayda at 10:40 PM on Sep. 29, 2008

• Children are all different they will do it at their time and not when we want them. I have a 26/23/17 and they are different and they started very early. Don't get frustrated just continue what your doing and watch they child will do it in their timing.
    HisNavyPension

Answer by HisNavyPension at 10:49 PM on Sep. 29, 2008

• my daughter is 4 1/2 and she still can write all the letters of the alphabet..and she has no interest too..same with drawing..she could care lessssss you ask her draw a picture of a dog, or a person, or anytype of animal and she does the same thing..a circle with 2 dots and a straight line across..lol..she doesnt care! but she has fun doodling..and has been doodling since i can remember..then again you get her outside to run around or play sports and shes allll for that! shes much rather be playing sports than learning stuff...(kinda worries me tho) but im sure with time she'll get better..as all kids are different at every level
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:38 AM on Sep. 30, 2008

• i agree. dont worry. she will be just fine. remember ALL kids dont learn at the same same speed. it will be fine
    mymommasgirl

Answer by mymommasgirl at 10:09 AM on Sep. 30, 2008

• I'd say she's way ahead. My daughter is four and can't do that. All she knows is there is an X in her name lol(alexis). I've been working with her for months on letters but she's just not getting it. She just started pre-school tho so hopefully that will help.
    aegmo3

Answer by aegmo3 at 10:29 AM on Sep. 30, 2008

• Just remember to encourage her being artistic! We need more artists in this world!
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 1:33 PM on Sep. 30, 2008

• Nope, your daughter's great - mine is the same. I don't think many of the kids at the day care my daughter goes to "trace" their names very well until they're well into their third year, maybe even beginning of the 4th year? Sure there are some kids who will pick it up sooner, but your daughter sounds perfectly normal to me.
    elenasmom905

Answer by elenasmom905 at 6:46 PM on Sep. 30, 2008