Help with getting my toddler out of my bed

Need suggestions on how to get my kid out of my bed--she's three, she'll be four in 3 months and she still sleeps with me..

You would think as much Super Nanny as I have watched, she would be out of my bed by now.. but NOPE..

gotfavor

Asked by gotfavor at 6:15 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Talk to her, tell her that by weekend, or whenever she needs to start sleeping in her own bed. You can take her shopping for sheets or something to make it special. When D Day comes, just put her in her own bed. She will cry, she will scream, she will run out. Talk to her quietly that she's a big girl and needs to sleep in her own bed and put her back. It will take several days. The first day or two will be the worst, but If you are consistant, she will get the message. It took my son a little less than a week.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:24 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• exactly what layh said, just don't give in. and i wouldn't make it a habit to sit in there with her. she needs to know when it's time for her to go to bed she can do so without mom. be consistant! you're her mother, not her friend.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 6:39 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Start with her own bed in your room and see how you reacts. Then if she is ok with that, make the transition from there to her own room.

I wouldn't push it though...if she really doesn't want to don't...she will want to in her own time.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• @keyaziz we've tried that and she did really well with her bed in my room but it was taking up much needed space and she wakes up everytime I move around as if she thinks I'm leaving her.

I think the real problem with her not sleeping in her bed in my own inconsistency--I'm going to get back with it tonight and will keep you updated! Add me as your friend so I can keep you up to date! I'll write a journal about it tomorrow

Thanks
    gotfavor

Comment by gotfavor (original poster) at 6:48 PM on Jul. 5, 2010