What do I do for my daughter who has solid poop?

My 4 week old daughter is having trouble pooping, It's pretty solid. I switched her to Similac Isomil Advanced Soy formula a week ago because she was spitting up so bad but now she cries and struggles while pooping and I don't know what to try! Please help!

amztrox

Asked by amztrox at 6:24 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Did the doc say to switch?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:27 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I'd try another formula. Or call the doctor and ask....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 6:32 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• It is quite common that babies don't tolerate formulas well partly because of the overload of iron. An option is to switch back to breastmilk part time or full time. Breastmilk has a natural laxative effect. www.kellymom.com and www.drjacknewman.com

You can also look into baby's only nature's one formula or goat milk based. It is a trial and error issue with formula.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:33 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Yes, this is what he suggested, and she was fine the 1st few days pooping but this weekend she's been having trouble (her spit up quit the same day I started the new formula) and my doc is gone until tomorrow
    amztrox

Comment by amztrox (original poster) at 6:33 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I am unable to breast feed :(
    amztrox

Comment by amztrox (original poster) at 6:35 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• You've had breast surgery or undeveloped milk glads? (this is a polite question...a lot of women think they can't but fing out later they can. knowing the reason may offer an opportunity you bdidn't think you had.) If it is meds there are other options.

Another possibility is milkbanks or milkshare. It's an option to consider.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:00 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• If the problem happened when you switched formulas, then switch back, and now you know you can't switch her. You're committed to the previous formula.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:18 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Soy can cause some bad constipation in babies (it did with my daughter). Call your doctor and see what they suggest to relieve the constipation. We had to put 1/2 ounce of prune juice in one bottle a day to keep it from being hard like marbles. Call your doctor first!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 1:46 AM on Jul. 6, 2010