Do you think there is life on other planets in the universe? If you do, how do you picture those types of life?

Also asked in P & CE

mancosmomma

Asked by mancosmomma at 6:34 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's statistically improbable that out of all this:

http://www.spacedaily.com/images/cosmology-virgo-universe-desk-1024.jpg

we are the only planet that has life.  Especially considering each fraction of a milimeter of light in that picture is a whole galaxy, not just a single star, there are approx 100 billion stars in each galaxy, and that picture is just one tiny section of the universe.  As for what the life is like, as many ways as we can imagine it, each is possible.  More than likely it occurs in forms we can't imagine.  They could have triple our gravity and mainly live below water with an atmosphere consisting mostly of methane.  What differences would that bring?  Then compound that by every factor on Earth that could be different elsewhere.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:36 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• i think there is single-celled organisms, like bacteria on other planets. they have found some frozen on jupiter (i think) so it's pretty obvious that there is life other places, i just don't think it's little green martians
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 6:36 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I believe there is. The Universe it too big for us to be it. I'm not sure what they would look like, but I think unless they lived on a planet that has oxygen and gravity like earth, they would definitely look way different than us.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 6:39 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I absolutely believe in life on other planets, in other galaxies. I have NO clue what they would look like; I don't have a good enough imagination! But with the number of galaxies you can see in the pics that Hubble has taken of space....I can only imagine how many more galaxies there are out there. I cannot imagine WE are the only living beings within space. That seems impossible to me.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:49 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Yes. I'd imagine some of them would have evolved into pure energy.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:43 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I do, but not in our Galaxy. I have no idea what they'd be like though...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:43 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I think it would be arrgant to think we are it for galaxies.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• yes i do think that life is not limited to our planet
    no idea of what life form it may be

like the pure energy comment
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Yes, always have and always believe there are other forms of intelligent life out in this big, vast universe we are a part of.

I have no idea what they are like or anything and I wouldnt be able to venture a guess even except in jest(like they are green but have humanoid features,etc. Silly stuff like that).
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I do, and I have a hollywood pic in my head. sorry, but true. Little green men and the like.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:08 PM on Jul. 5, 2010