my little girl has bad eyesight

I have a little girl of three years old and she is long sighted in her right eye but left eye is fine i have been battling with her to were her glasses but she really is finding them uncomfortable i have tryed every thing from treats to stickers the optician says they will have to tie they on to her every day i really dont want this to happen has any of you mums got an answer as i cant think of what else i can do it is very frustrating for both of us please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• tell her she will stand in the corner for five minutes if she takes them off, obviously rewards aren't working so now it's time for discipline.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 6:44 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My son had bad vision, but he didn't mind the glasses. I guess that they helped him see so much better. I don't know if you can make a fuss about how cute she looks when she is wearing them and how it must be nice to be able to see better. If they are hurting her nose or ears the optician should be able to correct this. You may want to try a different optician- just ask if they'll do a courtesy check of the glasses to see if they feel that they are actually uncomfortable.

Answer by Bmat at 6:46 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I had the same problem with my daughter. I went the do it or loose something route. She knows that each time I have to tell her to put or leave them on, she's loosing something. Be it tv, bike, scooter, dolls, whatever. She only lost something twice and now puts them on every morning after getting dressed. Just make it like every other rule. Either follow or she gets punished. Don't bribe.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 6:46 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My son has worn glasses since he was 5 years old. I made sure to tell him how handsome and smart he looked, and when he got new ones, I called ahead when I visited my family to tell them to make sure they all told him how cool his new glasses are. He's 8 now and has been great with them. He's very proud of his glasses.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:49 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My 7yo has worn glasses since she was 18 months.  There was a time when she was about 2 or so that she refused to put them on.  We started playing the "strange girl" game.  Whenever I saw her without her glasses I would ask, "who's this strange girl in my house?"  then I would make a big deal of looking for "my girl," calling her name and looking everywhere for her.  When she'd finally put her glasses on I'd go crazy about how I finally found her and tell her how there had been this strange girl in the house wearing her clothes.  She thought it was hilarious.

I still call her "strange girl" when I catch her without her glasses on.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:14 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• justanotherjen, I think that's brilliant.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My DD got glasses this past year at 5 yrs old. At first she was a little resistant to them. However, when she realized she could see better with them than without she decided having glasses was pretty cool. Before that, however, we worked to make glasses awesome. Meg has an American Girl doll that looks similar to her - same hair, same eyes and skin tone. We got her doll wire rim eye-glasses. She loves that her baby can look just like her. ;) We've got some cute pictures of them together. We also all made a big fuss over her when she wore them - telling her she looked so beautiful, or, a big one for DD, "you look like such a big kid!" Make sure the glasses are well adjusted. When Meg takes her's off sometimes she can twist the frames a bit and after a while it can make the glasses uncomfortable. We take them over to Lens Crafters who will adjust them for free every now and again.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:50 PM on Jul. 5, 2010