Should I start potty training?

My daughter is 16 months.

She keeps taking off her diaper when she pees in it and throws it away in her garbage pail. If she takes it off, I keep putting it back on and she keeps taking it off, etc.

Well, I've been putting her in jeans with actual buttons (not the snap kind, but the kind you put through the hole) to help reduce the amount of times she takes off her diaper over and over.

That's not going to work. She knows how to undo her button, then pulls down her pants, and takes her diaper off.

Putting it on over and over again is getting really frustrating! I just don't think she'll potty train yet. I mean she's only 16 months and only has less than 10 words that she can say! What do I do?!

Honeybun09

Asked by Honeybun09 at 7:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why not give it a try? Kids learn at their own rate. Make a game of it. She already knows where the wet diaper goes. Do a roll play with one of her dolls. =)
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 7:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Let her take the diaper off and see what happens. Show her the potty etc. Worth a shot. If she doesn't want the diaper on don't force her too it just will frustrate you and to be honest clenaing up wee isn't that annoying...in fact I don't mind it. Lol. She doesn't need to say a lot of words to communicate to you. When my son was 2 he just decided to say ber everytime he needed or was going to the toilet and insisted we take him. He trained himself!
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 7:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• get her a little potty and start introducing her to it....she doesnt have to start training but its nice to get them used to the idea
    ProudMama4ever

Answer by ProudMama4ever at 7:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Try it just don't force it. Pick up a potty (or potty seat) and try getting her to sit on it. If she's wililng, she may be ready even if she is young. If she wants no part of it, wait a bit longer. Otherwise, go with overalls! :)
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:12 PM on Jul. 5, 2010