How can I stop the word play?

My husband loves to correct my pronunciation, word usage, vocabulary and just in general be a huge pain in the rear. Sometimes I feel like asking him, "Who died and made you the word police?"

Please give me suggestions for stopping him.

lilangilyn

Asked by lilangilyn at 7:12 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• Do something annoying back. If he complains, tell him you're gonna do it every time he corrects you.
    racheljessee

Answer by racheljessee at 7:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Can you talk it over with him and tell him how this makes you feel? Some people don't realize how hurtful it is. It would drive me nuts too. Good luck
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I will admit it. I was the one in our relationship who was constantly correcting my husband. I met him when we were 16 and lived in this little hick town where no one could speak real English. He was barely able to hold a conversation for job interviews or have a phone conversation with anyone professional! It drove me insane and I would (nicely) correct him. After about six months, he started correcting himself and now all these years later, I love the way he's able to hold a conversation with anyone from any walk of life. He still had a tough time with writing, but expresses himself beautifully when he speaks.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:21 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My husband does this too and I'm a certified English teacher! It's super annoying. I keep telling him that it's disrespectful, but he won't stop.

Good luck.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 7:27 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My hubby did something similar. I asked him to quiet, he didn't listen. Finally he did it so much I started doing it back. He stopped.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2010