How much water a day should CHILDREN drink?

With the warm months upon us, and no AC, there is concern that perhaps the children are not getting enough water. Of course water, juice, milk, etc is always available to them, but they don't seem to "drink" a lot. I know the standard answer is 8-8 oz of water per day. However is that different for children? There is such a thing as water intoxication where people die from drinking TO MUCH water!

Water like everything else is about MODERATION! Of course I could just call the pedi and ask. I've done google already, but every site has a different amount for children.

I was just wondering if anyone here had some ideas or could share how much their children drink. I'm lucky if I can get my kids to drink one or two 16 oz cups in a day. Often its just one 16 oz cup of juice (or milk). SOMETIMES they also drink one 16 oz cup of water.

SAHMinIL2

Asked by SAHMinIL2 at 7:24 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Kids' Health

• In all honesty for any person you take the weight in pounds, divide it in half, and that is the number of ounces a person should typically drink in one day. The bigger the person, the more water it takes.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 7:28 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My son drinks water and breastmilk. He is pretty good at monitoring his needs and I always offer him water especially when he is running about and he always takes it...he always asks for it too.

I think that a good way to monitor if a child is getting enough water is to look at their urine. If it is clear/slightly coloured then they are hydrated. If it is dark then they are dehydrated. Peeing clearly several times a day is a good sign of hydration.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 7:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Perhaps this can help you.

How Much Water You Need to Drink Today

Hydration Calculator

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:43 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• yep I agree with PhoenixFire in fact I've been told the same thing by my doctor and also a health food store.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 7:45 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• We drink water all day..

Answer by rkoloms at 8:05 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I just did that hydration calculator for my son and it said he drink almost twice as much as he weighs. I dunno if that is entirely correct.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 10:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2010