have you ever said something ugly/mean to your child then wish you didn't say it?

what was it you said to them?

Shannon706

Asked by Shannon706 at 7:49 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, what I said is not whats important and I dont even really remember it cuz its been a long, long time.

Whats important is that I recognized the wrong, corrected it and have gone on to keep building my relationship with my children.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:51 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• As our kids get older and in to adult hood,you may look back and say why did I say that. People with younger ones, might or may know how this feels. We all say things out of anger, weather it be with our parents, family, friends, and yes even our kids. Its that you know that you did it, you truly are sorry is what matters in the end. Now if you make it a habit...Your child in the long run might no care about your sorries.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 7:53 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Yes, unfortunately, and I won't ever do that again.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 7:53 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• yes I have
    reesemom

Answer by reesemom at 7:55 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Yes I did I said you are so dumb,or I say that you are stupid. And he tell me I'm not dumb and I tell him stop acting like it.He not dumb or stupid just the thing he does sometime!!But I have to learn not to argue when I am mad because after while he will believe that. So that's something I will be working on!
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 7:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Parents are not perfect...just as long as you are sincerely sorry and like bellamommyof4 said, don't make a habit of it.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 7:57 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• What amaranth said...

All parents have moments when they are not the best people, but the key is to recognise it, correct it and learn from it.

There was something my dad said to me when I was a teen and it hurt me so badly, then a few years later I over heard him telling my sil that his mother said the exact same thing to him when he was a kid. He talked about how completely it destroyed him.

As I heard him tell tat story to my sil, I got so mad! He knew how bad it felt to be told that, he should not have inflicted that pain on me. No matter how angry he was at me. I lost a lot of respect for him the day I heard him talk about his mom saying the same thing to him.

So we all have to learn from what has happened to us and what we have have done. That is the key to being a good parent...learning from our mistakes.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:58 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I am talking about my teenager so that's why I am working on it. Because I have 5 coming behind him!
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 7:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• We do it all the time and it is called stress. I once told my son that he is just like his dad, and that was not good because he was mad. I will never say anything harsher than that because kids will never forget most things you say to them. They'll remember it forever.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I said something to my oldest dd when she was 2 or 3 weeks old and she's almost 4 now. I don't think I'll ever get over the guilt.
    I try very hard not to say too much when I'm real stressed or they're being bad because I have a bad habit of just saying things I don't mean.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 8:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2010