I accidently overheard my neighbor both of the parents of a little girl say degrading things to her....

I heard one of them say to her...What is wrong with you? and the other parent then said...Are you brain damaged? On another day I heard the father say I am going to F'n beat the sh*t out of you. I never did hear any kind of physical violence happen...just the threat of words. What would you do? Mind your own business? We live in adjoining apartments.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Im not saying that what they are doing is ok, but do you think they are beating their child? And have you heard more than this, or was this when the kid was acting up and that parent might have said that out of anger (by the way no its not ok to say it, im just asking). Some parents say stupid things with out even thinking. But if you feel she or he is being mentally or physically abused...and you really think it not just upset because you heard this twice then call cps. But if you never seen this happen before, I wouldnt jump to conclusions.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 8:08 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• You people are way too CPS happy. Someone yells at their kid and that automatically makes them a neglectful alcoholic abuser. Awesome. I'm not saying it is right to speak to your child like this, but it most definitely does not always mean they are beating their child. I know my mom threatened to beat the shit out of me sometimes, she never did and never would and most certainly was not an alcoholic neglectful abuser. How about you hold off on ruining a family because you think what they said to their child was abusive.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 8:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Just keep an ear/eye out for future issues. Hold off on the calling,tough as it is

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Mind your own business unless you hear the child screaming and crying or witness abuse...what you have stated is not cool to say to a child but it's not against the law.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 8:01 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• They (CPS) are unlikely to remove a child without phyisical evidence of abuse or neglect. There's no way to prove it, it's your word against theirs. Keep your eyes & ears open, say a pray for her & her parents. Parenting is a difficult job and is usually done by the least-trained. I'd likely be friendly, say hello when you see them. They will know that you are listening & watching and that's not a bad thing.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:07 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I agree..this is why CPS doesnt get to the people that end up killing their kids, etc. they have way to many calls for everything and anything. My sister lives in MO and she is a case worker for social services, she told me you wouldnt believe the calls that come in, and how much cases they have to follow up on. Most of the time everything is ok, but then what about the kids that are being in drug homes, sexually abused, etc...sometimes they dont get to them fast enough!
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 8:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I would call CPS and see exactly what they suggest you do.
    Wendy_June

Answer by Wendy_June at 7:57 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I agree...call CPS. You can be annonymous. That little girl does not need that in her life!!
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 7:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I will be the first to admit if my child does something time after time after time I will tell them knock it off or I am gonna beat the crap outta you. Now do I ever do it, no. But it helps me blow off my anger without doing anything to them like spanking. It is just words and usually 2 minutes later they get a huge hug and talked to after I am not upset anymore so we are rational again.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 9:07 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• " I'd call CPS. You might not hear violence, but there still could be violence in the home. "

Oh yeah, you're right. Everyone make sure next time you hear a parent yelling at their kid or hear a child screaming you call CPS and report their asses! The kid is probably being starved and abused!

eye rolling

GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 10:30 PM on Jul. 5, 2010