Is it just me or is it becoming much less popular to be a Christian lately?

Why is it ok to believe/do almost anything (as far as the politically correct people are concerned) but if you have old fashioned Bible based Christian views you are often considered narrow minded? Has anyone else noticed this?

After stating my beliefs in a post today I'm growing increasingly concerned that one day it will not be permissible to speak out if you don't support gay marriage.

wahmoftwo

Asked by wahmoftwo at 8:01 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Are you a Christian because it's popular or are you a Christian because that's what you believe? A lot of people have unpopular opinions about a lot of things. Just because you share it doesn't mean the majority has to like it. You are free to say whatever you want, and people who disagree are free to tell you they disagree. You can't tie that to your religion - there are just as many Christians who don't oppose gay marriage, just as there are some other non-Christian religions that do oppose it. In a public forum where the majority support equal rights, that will be an unpopular opinion regardless of the religion behind it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• You have strong feelings about this...they do, too. discussions are going to get heated. If you can't take it, don't join in the discussion.

Personally, I, as a Christian, don't understand why other Christians feel like our Bible should be the law of the world. We aren't the only fish in the sea. It's behavior like this, this you will do what I say whether you believe in my God or not, that turns people off and away from God.

Remember, the second our religion is in power is the second before someone else's is.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I think people have more of an issue with the ANNOUNCEMENT of Christians' beliefs. You can believe whatever you want,just don't try to enforce it on others. You shouldn't be speaking out against gay marriage unless its on a ballot or something. Eventually its going to be a reality,like it or not. Its wrong to stop someone from marrying based on gender or sexual preference-IMHO

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I agree with NotPanicking. Being a Christian, you should know many people didn't like a lot of what Jesus said, but he held true to himself.
    aluvk4evr

Answer by aluvk4evr at 8:07 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• If you're only a Christian because it's "popular" then I think you should reconsider your belief system.

And I think it's not so much that Christians are becoming a minority -- there are still more Christians than any other religion worldwide -- as that Americans of other beliefs are finally much more comfortable about speaking out. It used to be much more difficult to get along in the world if you didn't share a belief system with your boss or your neighbors. Now, people are more tolerant of other philosophies and religions and it's left many "old-fashioned" Christians surprised that not everyone thinks the same way.
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 8:08 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• See, that's interesting. Where I come from I fear a society that DOES speak out against gay marriage, equal rights, etc....
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:08 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Where I lived there were gay people. I lived in a very populated area of California where it was mixed with many peoples and beliefs.
    Mommy2mj

Answer by Mommy2mj at 8:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Butterflyblue19:
    That is not good advice. The bible says you are supposed to spread the word. Just listen. I am a very faithful person but had been in the same ignorant mind set as you and I was being the closed minded one! Everything in the bible is truth 100%. If you would open your heart and accept Jesus Christ you'll see all the pieces come together with things that didn't make sense before.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 8:14 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Ok I've been misunderstood. I am NOT a Christian because it's popular. What I mean is people tend to bash people who don't have similar opinions. I don't see this with other faiths as commonly. You don't have to believe what I do but that doesn't mean I'm going to call names for it. I can deal with it. I was just surprised.

"Personally, I, as a Christian, don't understand why other Christians feel like our Bible should be the law of the world. We aren't the only fish in the sea. It's behavior like this, this you will do what I say whether you believe in my God or not, that turns people off and away from God.

Remember, the second our religion is in power is the second before someone else's is."

If your beliefs are based on the Bible how can you vote on any beliefs outside of that.

The post I mentioned participated in asked why people who are against gay marriage feel that way. I answered.
    wahmoftwo

Comment by wahmoftwo (original poster) at 8:15 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• While Christianity may not retain it's "powerhouse" status, you will always have the right to speak your mind on issues. Aside from that though, do you need Christianity to be "popular"?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:15 PM on Jul. 5, 2010