Strep question

My son had a fever and was feeling just not himself, he's 2-1/2 and had diarreha for days and then he started complaining for me to get something off his throat so I took a flashlight to it and saw white spots and his throat was red, so I took him to the Dr thinking it was strep although he had not complained of pain til this point, she did a strep test and it was negative, that was 24 hours ago and now he's crying because his throat hurts... can it go from spots from a "Viral bug" to strep? in 24 hours? I hate to say it but the co pay is $25 and I already spent that, I don't want to spend another $25 for them to tell me its not strep again, the white spots are still there but now with his complaining and crying, my concern is higher too...

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 8:25 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• White spots are not necessarily strep. They can be caused by all sorts of viral infections and some bacterial ones as well. It shows that the body it fighting an infection in the throat.

Two of my 3 kids have had strep. Not once did they really complain of a sore throat. The first one always runs crazy high fevers - 104+ and is sick to her stomach. The other one runs lower, barely there fevers (100-101) get sick to his stomach and has seizures.

Call the doctor and say that your little one is feeling worse and what can be done.

Popsicles and ice cream/milk shakes can also get fluid into him to keep him hydrated.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:03 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Call and make sure they send out the 48hour test. I get strep ALL THE TIME and the rapid always comes back neg and the 48hour always comes back pos for "non group A" strep (which does not read on the rapids). Rotate tylenol with Ibeprophen for pain and wait for the 24hour:)
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 8:51 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I would go back... that sounds just like strep
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 8:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• That definitely sounds like strep to me. Call and check that they're doing the long test too. You can usually talk to a nurse without paying and they're usually better. My son has had strep twice. Both times the nurse run the test as part of the initial work up because she thought it was strep and then the dr came in saying it definitely wasn't and apologizing for running an unnecessary test. Obviously the tests came back positive.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 9:35 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• juat like everyone else said the test gets sent out an it can change from neg. to postive. Call and see if the results changed and let them no that he is not getting any better and things are worse.Good luck hun and let me know what happens
    Mamato2angels

Answer by Mamato2angels at 8:12 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I have had white spots many times and never tested positive for strep. I have had them without even having a sore throat. So, it is possible it is not strep. However, since he is getting worse instead of better, I would call the doctor, say that he is getting worse, and see what she says.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:06 AM on Jul. 6, 2010