My dog is horrible at walking with a leash...

Any products that will help me be able to walk him easier so I don't feel like I am being pulled? I hate walking him but I know I need to. I don't want to use the shock collar..don't like the idea but want something that will keep him near me and not want to run away. He is a 3 year old golden retriver/lab.

JacobsMommy05

Asked by JacobsMommy05 at 8:25 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Pets

• Try something called a Gentle Leader. You can get them at PetSmart/PetCo or whatever pet store is nearby. They go around the muzzle and the head, but don't tighten until the dog pulls. They quickly learn that pulling leads to an uncomfortable -- but not painful -- sensation. We taught our Boxer to walk on the leash with one and now he does really well without it.

Since your dog is already an adult, it may take longer for him to learn, but he will with time and patience.
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 8:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• The best thing I have found is the halti-collar. It goes on their head like a halter on a horse. They literaly can NOT pull because if they do the halti makes their head turn...and they have to slow down or stop. Even with this it takes training but it helps. I get a lot of foster dogs that do not know how to walk on a leash and using the halti helps with training and speeds the process.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 8:31 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• we got a training collar for our pit. the kind with the little wires that poke their neck. they are not sharp and dont hurt unless the dog pulls on them. but only use them when you are walking the dog. after a couple weeks of being on that outside he stopped pulling so much and went back to a regular collar.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:31 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Rent "Dog Whisperer" from your local library or watch it on cable. Because of Cesar Millan, we have 2 balanced dogs:) GL:)
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 8:32 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I have some advice. One is to get a harness leash, they give you more control. The second is to take the take to obedience training, the instructors can give you hands on help of how to train your dog. The third is to walk the other way every time he starts pulling. And to not pull back. But rather short, semi-hard tugs. When you pull a dog, the dog makes a harder attempt to pull back but if you do a short hard tug, the dog will not. And last is to teach your dog heel.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 8:33 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I have the same issue. I found a leash that is a halter style. It has a 4 inch area that if the dog pulls tightens around the chest. So no chocking or shocking. My dog was like what the freak the first time she pulled with it on. Figured it out pretty quick, and doesn't pull. Walks are so much nicer. I found it at PetsMart or Petco something like that.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:35 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• You don't have to use any product, shock collar, or anything of that nature. Be the dominant partner in your walking.
    Get a good hold on the leash, maybe wrap it around your hand once to get a good hold. Then when he starts to pull ahead gently pull him back to your side. As you pull back say "Back [Inster dog's name." When he comes to your side pet him and say "Good girl (boy), [insert dogs name]." Then if he starts to pull ahead, gently pull him back repeating "Back, [dogs name]." If you think that treats will help the dog learn this process faster then that is okay. I don't recommend treats, because like Children I personally wouldn't want my animal associating food as a means of patting yourself on your back. It's not healthy.

Eventually the dog will understand that everytime you go on walks that he is to walk beside you.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Training classes would be best but if you just want a quick fix then try a Gentle Leader, Halti, or Easy Walk Harness. You can find any of them at any major pet supply store. I don't recommend Pinch, Choke, or Shock collars for the inexperienced!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:18 AM on Jul. 6, 2010