Should I be worried?

So my 2 year really doesn't watch TV so we watch whatever with him around. But now he's started shooting us with stuff. First it was pizza crust and I said are you shooting me? And he said you're dead. Then tonight he was shooting with a watch and saying die! Die! I never watch violent stuff but I his dad does. He said he would stop though. But my kid barely talks at all and this is what he picks up!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They are ALWAYS watching and listening.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 8:32 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My kids former provider called her dog a bad boy once and he walk around saying any time he doesnt get his way. Kids are starnge like that.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 8:33 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Does he play with older kids?If so that could be the problem, If not then I wouldn't watch the violent shows for a while and see if it stops. Also tell him that we don't say those things to people its not nice. This is the reason my son doesnt watch spongebob or any shows like that...they are to mean to each other. My son is 3.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I do think its a good idea to limit the things you watch around him. I dont think you have to worry about what he is doing but definately should take this oppurtunity to teach him right from wrong and explain how he shouldnt be doing that
    rilya06

Answer by rilya06 at 9:46 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• First of all, neither of you have to stop watching what you are watching. Yes, he is mimicing what he has seen, whether you have realized it or not. However, this is the perfect time to teach him right from wrong, and the appropriatness of things. The more he understands the better and easier it will be in the future for everyone involved. It's important not to take away everything that you don't him to do or say, but more show him that it is okay for TV just not for him. Just like you don't take out the outlets in the wall, you plug them up and teach him not to touch them. He is bound to see and hear everything eventually, so it's important that he understands at a young age what is and isn't appropriate.

Don't be worried, just teach him that his actions are not appropriate. That the actors on TV are only pretending and that in real life that type of acting isn't right. That it's not okay to shoot people. He'll understand
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:12 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• well, either stop watching inappropriate tv around him, or just accept that boys will be boys and play shoot em up and cowboys and indians and that's just how it is. for me, i'd probably accept it cuz we watch some movies like that. we won't be watching any CSI shows or south park or anything, but there are guns in a lot of movies. it's harmless
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 11:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I swear that pretending to shoot you & everything else is programmed into little boys' DNA. They don't have to see it on tv. They can pick it up from their friends & other family members. My dh & I are teaching our littlest one what is okay to pretend to shoot & what is not okay.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 11:57 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I wouldn't worry. I don't have a boy, but he sounds all boy to me. I mean I do limit some things I usually watch. I will DVR and watch after bed time if I have to.
    MrsPeek

Answer by MrsPeek at 11:57 AM on Jul. 7, 2010