Are you part of the reason jobs are going overseas?

Don't get mad and instantly say no! Think about it first.

Do you shop at Walmart, KMart or Target? Look around you, do you have a lot of "stuff?" Is it stuff that isn't absolutely needed? Do you have more than 1 pair of flip flops? Do your kids wear licensed type merchandise? How often do you shop at a "dollar" type store?

How high is your personal demand for low cost goods? The demand for low cost goods is one of the reasons jobs go overseas. American business owners cannot compete with wages paid in places like China, Indonesia and Thailand. The average Chinese worker makes $120 (US dollars) a month...that buys about 14 hours of minimum wage here in Oregon.

What can we each do to help lower this demand and encourage American made products?

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 8:45 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Even though I dont like the idea of jobs going overseas, i do know that I cant afford to shop outside "dollar" stores a lot of the time. Stuff is just so expensive now adays and with hour cuts at work I have to save every penny I can.
    Trotterswife

Answer by Trotterswife at 8:48 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• i can not afford to not shop wal mart, mostly for groceries. but other than that no. we dont have a lot of "stuff" period. since we cant afford cable dd doesnt watch tv and doesnt want all the clothes with characters or expensive toys.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:49 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• It's a double-edged-sword. We are forced to shop at Wal-Mart and Target because it's too expensive to shop at a locally owned store, thanks to Wal-Mart and Target opening in the neighborhood.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 8:51 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Unfortunately, the world is changing, and we don't like the changes but I don't believe we are going to stop it either. I do very little of what you mention, by the way....I live simply and buy locally as well as shop yard sales and thrift stores as much as possible...I've done this most of my life, even though my family and friends ridiculed me for it. And I continue to live my morals (although not perfectly), but I haven't influenced one person to do the same. I often wonder why I bother....younger people around me, the ones with small children don't seem to care and like to label me "hippie" and call me "quaint". I consider it disrespectful, even though they don't see how it could be. I'm tired, and frankly I give up. And I am accepting the fact that money rules this world, and the folks with all the money don't care about anything beyond profit and that isn't going to change....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:53 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• thats not the reason, the reason is because the tax braeks companies get to send the jobs overseas.

It has been in practice since before 1961. http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/taxes/2008-03-20-corporate-tax-offshoring_N.htm

If you are looking for jobs, look elsewhere. the jobs have gone green. if you need help finding them contact me.

Emma Weekly
    Work @ Home Specialist

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 8:55 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I actually do try to buy local (Canadian, not American), but dang it can be hard sometimes. I often can't find something locally. But I admit guilt to shopping at Walmart type stores occasionally too.

Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 8:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• For one thing jobs are needed in this country so people don’t have to spend money at these reasonable stores.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 8:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• The problem is everyone is looking in all the wrong places for jobs, we are in a digital age.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 8:58 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• well, I can't afford to shop other places, and if I have to choose between shopping at those places or not shopping at all, either way it won't keep jobs here so I might as well shop.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:58 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I just did a price comparison today at Wal-mart of my beloved Tomatoe juice. $3.17 at Wal-mart and $3.99 at the grocery store. What do we do? I have rent, utilites, groceries, gas for the car....I am stretched as tight as possbile. I feel that if I pay that at the grocery store, my beloved tomatoe juice is just going to keep going up anyway. At least at Wal-mart I feel like Im not getting taking advantage off. Its a hard thing to walk into one store and see everything you need at a lower price and then go to your grocery store and see it doubled and sometimes tripled for what you can get it somewhere else. We didnt start the fire....
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 8:58 PM on Jul. 5, 2010