Should I send my two year old to preschool in the fall?

She's very independent. Her older sister is (probably) mildly autistic. I'm debating whether it would be a good thing for her to have some experience being with other "typical" kids. What concerns me is that she has so many food allergies I don't know if it is possible to keep her safe when I'm not with her. She turned 2 in June. what do you think?

Hazelnutkin

Asked by Hazelnutkin at 9:22 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 2 is too young

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:23 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I think that a mom's morning out or a 2 or 3 day a week program would be beneficial to her. I teach a 2 year old preschool class and I have several allergies in my room. Just make sure that the director and the teachers know about the allergies and what to do/give in an emergency. If you still have concerns, you may ask to bring her own food each day.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• this is just my opinion, but i think it's still to young. they have 13 years of school ahead of them before preschool is included. and that also excludes college. so you child will be going to 3 years of preschool, and 13 years of regular school. so it would have 16 year of school before ever thinking about college. that just seems like so much.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 9:33 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• When to start preschool is one of those things that is completely about what's right for *you* and *your* child. There are other options, of course. Is your older child in school? What about a Mom-and-Me program? Can you do library story times?

As for food allergies, my DD is highly allergic to peanuts, tree nuts and shellfish. She attended 2 yrs of preshool and has just finished up kindergarten. She has come through all 3 without a single reaction. First, find the RIGHT pre-K. interview. ask questions. Have they dealt with allergies before. What is their standard policy. how do they let subs know about allergies? How are snacks handled? Were are meds kept. Find the school that works for you. Second, be known. Be there. Work closely with the classroom staff. And last, educate your daughter to advocate for herself. With that in mind, at 2, my DD was in mom-and-me classes. ;) We did preschool at 3 and 4.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:41 PM on Jul. 5, 2010