Did you know that, technically, North Korea guarantees freedom of religon?

Yep. In their version of a constitution, they guarantee freedom of religion for all 24 million citizens. Unless you are Christian, then you are an enemy of the state and will be arrested, tortured, and martyred. The crime: owning a Bible, sharing your Bible, and/or holding a prayer meetng (anywhere). Check out the story on MSNBC.com under world news. Titled "Arrested for Bibles, man dies in N. Korea".

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 9:28 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• As long as that religion is worshipping Kim Jong IL through his "Cult of personality" dictatorship. Seriously he likes his people t worship him like a God. Their motto is also "Powerful and Prosperous Nation" and we all know how far from that they are. (Not even listed). So it's not just Christians, it's anyone who doens't hail their psychopath leader as a God.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:48 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• No, no one wants to be told they HAVE to follow your beleifs. I havne't seen any public outcry because there is a cross on church grounds, or the ten commandments posted in a church, or even that churches exist. The problem becomes when it is placed in our government which is considered an endorsement of religion which our Constitution directly speaks against in the Establishment Clause of the First ammendment.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:55 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• yea, and?
    Shows how lucky we all are to live in a country that allows for ALL religious practices....OR no religious practice.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Where did I say if you even talk about it you're "Forcing it on others"? I didn't, so please stop trying to twist my answers to suit whatever notion it is you have already made up in your mind.

It's as simple as respect is a two way street and your rights end where another person's begin, just as theirs end where yours begin. If you feel the need to tell others their beliefs are wrong do not be surprised if they do the same or call you close-minded. That's all protected by our Freedom of Religion and our Freedom of speech. WELCOME TO AMERICA, where EVERYONE deserves EQUAL rights!

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• You are free to believe in Jesus, to talk about Jesus, and to worship Jesus all you want. You are not free to dictate that the rest of us do the same or to try to force it upon us because religious rights apply to ALL religious beliefs, even those that aren't religious and not just Christians.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• We better keep our beliefs to ourselves..otherwise we're "forcing our beliefs" on others.

Only if you've never been taught to be a polite and respectful human being and don't know how to behave like an adult when you discuss them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:00 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• We better keep our beliefs to ourselves..otherwise we're "forcing our beliefs" on others

This is not true. You have churches and conventions and retreats of all kinds where you can share your beliefs with those who share them. If i was interested in learning about your god and your beliefs I would go to your church. I agree pnwmom ask first before sharing with complete strangers. If they decline your invitation move on.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:16 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• You do realize that christians are the majority right? You have not seen christians run out of town or losing a job because people found out you are christian. National news anchors have not made pleas for your neighbors to watch your every move and to report you for abuse because you believe in your god.

I think some people wrongly seem to think disagreeing = hate. That is simply not true. And while your group is a strong majority how do you really expect things to turn as bad for you as they are in North Korea? I think that you are minimizing what your fellow christians are going through over there by saying it is getting that bad over here. A country where in most towns christian churches out number schools and hospitals combined.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:47 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

ASK first, do not presume everyone WANTS to have religion ANY religion shoved in their faces. I do not come up to ANYONE and basically tell them MY path is the ONLY way. It is only the polite thing to do, please ask if people want to hear it first. Just as you have your rights to your beliefs I HAVE the right to tell you that I don't want to hear it. It goes both ways.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:41 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• That clause also goes on to prevent any prohibition to the free exercise of those religions.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2010