Health Care over Haul expected to provide coverage up to about 1 million by next year...

WASHINGTON – The first stage of President Barack Obama's health care overhaul is expected to provide coverage to about 1 million uninsured Americans by next year, according to government estimates.

That's a small share of the uninsured, but in a shaky economy, experts say it's notable.

Many others — more than 100 million people — are getting new benefits that improve their existing coverage.

Overall costs appear modest at this point, split among taxpayers, employers and individuals who directly benefit, although the biggest part of the health care expansion is still four years away.
In 2014, government tax credits will help uninsured workers and their families pay premiums, and Medicaid will take in many more low-income people. Eventually, more than 30 million will gain coverage,

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100705/ap_on_bi_ge/us_expanding_health_insurance

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:35 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• What is the question?
    lawmom27

Answer by lawmom27 at 9:43 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Which makes perfect sense as the country is on the verge of a depression.
    Makes sense to me!!!!!!!!
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 9:44 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• What will the impact be on those with insurance?

Is this a good thing? ...better thing but not good enough??

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:45 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Those with insurance will not be able to see their primary care physican as quickly as they may need to. The quality of health care will greatly diminish. Small businesses who cannot provide health insurance will not be able to afford to give employees insurance which will cause them to go out of business. Small businesses provide millions of people with jobs and are good for the economy. If these businesses fail, the unemployment rate will be higher than what it is now. Taxes will go up even more. Higher taxes means less money for people to spend and hurts the economy even more.
    lawmom27

Answer by lawmom27 at 9:50 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• The problem I see most with health care is the affordability. I dont see where htis bill addresses THAT at all. As far as I can see it requires people to carry ins. Requires ins companies to cover even high risk people at the same cost as everyone else (which sounds great but is going to cost EVERYONE more!). It doesnt address vision or dental care at all. Our company doesnt offer either and you can NOT buy it independently. I really dont see where this does ANYTHING good!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:01 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• And insurance companies will be paying out HUGE executive bonuses the following year. Which means it will be working as planned.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:44 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• It's already hurting employment, businesses are afraid to hire and put people on the payroll permanently.

They know the cost of business is going to increase because of Obama-care, more taxes, and a whole host of new regulations.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 11:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• So, the government people estimate that up to 1 million people will be added to the insurance rolls. How many MORE will be kicked off of their insurance for whatever reason, whether it is premium hikes (to cover those additional million) or the business dropping it employee insurance program, or the business going out of business? And, do you really trust these government estimators with their numbers? They haven't gotten much right, so far. Everything is "worse than we thought it would be", so I predict that by next year, it will be much less than a million.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:39 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I won't try and make excuses here. For a few people this will be good, they will meet the requirements and they will have jobs that allow them to be able to afford this insurance.

But.... Did you know we already have pools for just this purpose? I'm sitting here this morning and what do I hear. A clip of Kathleen Sebilious, healthcare goddess, saying "the pools we have now are expensive and the exchanges will probably be expensive" Probably? These idiots don't know what they are doing. Even this article here says a million people(what, only a million?) Well, I hope people will get what they need but it is doubtful for most. Of course the insurance will be expensive and most will not be able to afford it. There are strict regulations also. Gret law this is...... At least it's happening now so even more people will be voting Dems out when they find out this great insurance they thought they could have is out of reach
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:10 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• up to about 1 million by next year...

***

What exactly is the definition of "up to about?!" 

What we SHOULD be asking or be more concerned about is... how many people are not going to be hired as a result of the healthcare overhaul; and how many will be dropped as a result of the healthcare overhaul?! 

I would venture to guess that the "million" added will be easily superseded by the number who will then be looking for insurance, where they once had it, and no longer do!

(P.S.  I'm back from my Maine vacation! LOL)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:26 AM on Jul. 6, 2010