normal or spoiled??

So my four year old SS needs to watch a movie or two every night. Well first it takes about twenty min too pick a movie out. So we put the movie on, then every once in a while he calls for us that's he's scared ect.. Or he wants to watch another movie. He goes to bed like around 12am. And this interferes with my baby's sleep... Oh what to do??

mellyhayes

Asked by mellyhayes at 9:41 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That is bad parenting. You should read to him before bed and limit his tv time. no kid needs to watch movies.
    Meladori_Magpie

Answer by Meladori_Magpie at 9:44 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Honestly he shouldn't be going to bed that late every night. Remember your the PARENT! Start changing the habit asap.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 9:47 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Wow calling that bad parenting is pretty harsh. You have to limit the tv, put it one movie and once its over thats it for the night.
    kira25

Answer by kira25 at 9:50 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• change his routine. we do bath time, put on jammies, brush teeth, read books, and if she is not asleep by then we put in a movie for her.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:50 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• lol,,,not a spoiling problem, but I get where you want him to be happy. Pull the reins wayyy back and turn the tv off. I loved reading to my kids when they where little. It was dinner time, bath time, they used to watch the rug rats so that was tv time, then was reading time and then the lights went out. They really, really like a schedule. I promise you,..
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 9:50 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• It's only bad parenting because she seems more concerned with what it is doing to HER child then what it is like for her ss. the whole thing seems like a cry for attention from the boy.
    Meladori_Magpie

Answer by Meladori_Magpie at 9:55 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I wouldn't call it bad parenting--I've seen worse, I would call it misguided.

I know many parents who put a movie in for when their children drift off to sleep. That's not where I see the problem

It seems to me like some ground rules need to be made.

1. He gets 5 minutes to pick out a movie. If he can not pick out a movie in 5 minutes, he goes to bed without one.
    2. He only gets 1 movie. If he argues, he doesn't get any, or will not get one the next night.
    3. If he calls out while he is watching the movie, the movie goes off
    4. Get him a spray bottle with water--this is his anti monster spray. He had not reason to call out for being scared
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:57 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My answer might seem extreme because I'm not a fan of TV, anyway. There's SO much research showing how bad it is for kids, and yet people will go out and buy their organic produce before they turn off the tube. It doesn't make any sense. But especially I think watching TV late at night is unhealthy because of the way it stimulates the brain.

I'm not bashing, just expressing my views on TV.

I also agree your son should have an earlier bedtime. Actually 7 pm is recommended. That's a big jump from when he's going to bed now, but if you can adjust it slowly, it will help him be a happier, more self-controlled child, as well as giving you peaceful time to yourself in the evening. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:43 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Agreeing with everyone here, you should consider having him go to bed earlier. You may like him to go to bed so late because you may like to sleep in? Either way, he will be entering school soon and he will have to keep regular hours, be up and ready for school in the morning, and those hours will NOT work for him or you (trying to get him up). So, follow our advice and slowly decrease the bedtime, maybe like an hour less each week or two and get him down to at least 8 PM.

I agree with layh41407 on the TV/movie guidelines for sure.

Good luck.
    maya.momma

Answer by maya.momma at 1:28 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• why does he NEED to watch 2 movies every night? that's right, he doesn't.

how old is he??

you are the parent. i would start limiting his TV time. maybe he could do two movies a week or something. i notice you said he's your stepson.....what does his dad think about it?
    MommyToEthan

Answer by MommyToEthan at 9:17 AM on Jul. 6, 2010