Do you know what kind of resources are in your area to help a woman facing an untimely pregnancy?

As a nurse, I need to have at least a mental list of all kinds of community resources. In our area there is a program through Lutheran Family Services to help young and/or single moms to get the items they need for their babies. They earn credits by attending classes. I guess it could be kind of demeaning, but they can get a lot of help if they just show up. Then there's food pantries, WIC, food assistance, childcare assistance, Medicaid, the usual.

I'm just wondering if you were to meet a young (or older) woman in your area who had decided to keep her baby but needed some help, would you be able to tell her where to start?

Iamgr8teful

Asked by Iamgr8teful at 10:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Adoption

• Our county hospital has a teen health clinic. Volunteers do not discuss options concerning pregnancy.When the teens get to us they have decided to raise their child..We offer classes in both the actual physical care of babies and providing a loving environment for the baby.We have resources and some offices located at the hospital.WIC & Care Card med help.We look for support for the moms to finish high school preferably then a GED.We also help look for funding for one of several community colleges that offer skilled labor training certification to an associate and for a few on to 4 yr degree.We preach BC,.The girls that attend get bags and baby gear.The ones that continue to come to monthly support meetings are offered preg. and std tests.Those that aren't get make up donated by stores and companies.The girls that attend regularly seldom have more babies till much older.The info we give out is prepped by the med school

drfink

Answer by drfink at 11:17 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• We have a pregnancy center in our town, and since our town is so small the doctors really go out of their way to help people. The pregnancy center has classes for parents, ways to earn credits for things like baby toys,clothing, food, they offer therapy and a ton of other programs even stuff for new fathers.

MiddletonFamily

Answer by MiddletonFamily at 5:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I would not assume she should end her pregnancy. We have a crisis pregnancy center here. I am not sure it is the same Lutheran group you mentioned. I would try and help her personally as much as I could.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 10:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I would start by personally finding her internet resources for applying for Medicaid, sending her to the local WIC office, talking about housing support (even though section 8 has a huge waiting list), etc. If she didn't have a place to live, I would help her find a home to take her in, but I would counsel her to be wary that I was not sure which would push adoption, as I know some do. There are CPCs in the area that offer parenting classes and give free items, but also push religion and sometimes adoption, so I would point her there but also warn her about that. That's all I know of in my area.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 5:04 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• A woman in our church is a volunteer/advocate for the pregnancy center in our town. Many times she has brought a box to church for an "impromptu baby shower" for someone that she's met who has no support. We donate all sorts of baby things, clothes, diapers, bottles, bibs, etc. and I feel blessed to be able to give to someone who needs help and wants to keep her child. Most of them, I have never met. A couple of them may have come to church once, but it's not a requirement and I'm sure that many might feel embarrassed, even though I can say that they would be welcomed with open, loving arms at our church. (Not bragging, just tellin' the truth, LOL! :) )

I also know about our Medicaid, WIC, and cheaper medical clinics. Good question, OP! :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 4:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• About 20 years ago the Jr.League provided start up funding and made it a placement.This is how I got involved as a placement pushing a cart on the maternity ward with a sign that said 'A tisket ,a tasket a condom or a casket' full of info and gifts.It has grown beyond all the hopes at the time.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 11:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Wow yeah, great program! Should be everywhere!
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 5:06 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I would and have been able to help a pregnant woman who needed help. I work for a fantastic agency called Family Enrichment Network which houses many, many programs to help families in general and some for pregant woman and their children specifically. We offer counseling, early head start programs, which are for pregnant woman and infants through toddler age children, head start programs, food programs, a wheels for work program that helps people find and pay for a vehicle, a kinship care program, a day care center on site, financial planning, GED classes, a program for at risk youth and their families and many many others, including my program which helps day care providers with training and grants and support. I feel very blessed to work for an agency that benefits their community so much.

Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 11:47 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Momthruivf, thanks for your input! I am very pro-life, and I guess I left that out. I was just working under the assumption that she had considered placing her baby for adoption or parenting. It's awesome that you would help. I've saved so many baby things that I'm always waiting for somebody to say they can use something. After reading your screen name, I have to say congratulations! We tried IVF once in 1999 and it was unsuccessful. I am always happy to hear of people having a success.
    Iamgr8teful

Comment by Iamgr8teful (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Drfink, that sounds like a great program!
    Iamgr8teful

Comment by Iamgr8teful (original poster) at 11:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2010