should a 13 yr old have chores?

today we had a big argument because my fiance and I got up and started cleaning the house. We had his family over for the weekend. Anyways, we are cleaning everything and his 13 yr old son just lays on the couch. I said he needs to help out, so his dad tells him and he goes in his room and stuffs everything under his bed and is back on the couch within 3 min. And I'm upset that he isn't expected to do one thing around our house. We only ask him to help us clean like once a month. So my fiance goes in and cleans his room for him while he lays on the floor in his ro0m and watches. meanwhile I'm doing the dishes, laundry, and mopping the kitchen... all I'm asking is that he vacuum the living room, take out the trash, put his dirty clothes in the laundry room and clean his room, is that asking too much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• yes he should. It teaches responsibility!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:25 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I think kids should have chores as soon as they are old enough to start school. Not giving a kid chores teaches them to be lazy and irresponsible. Also, do housework teaches kids that they are part of the family. Families work together. It is his house too and he should take pride in it and help out.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:25 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• He most definitely should.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:25 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My kids are 8, 7 & 5 and they all do chores. So yes, he should be doing them.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 10:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My daughter has chores but qould prefer to lay on the couch. Ecxcept I threaten with lectures then she does her chores.
    Mommy2mj

Answer by Mommy2mj at 10:27 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• yeah, he needs chores.
    Meladori_Magpie

Answer by Meladori_Magpie at 10:28 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Most definitely needs chores. How else is he going to learn to take of himself when he moves out?
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Kids need chores starting at a young age. Even a 3 year old can help pick up. A 13 year old should be cleaning their own room, taking care of their clothing, and doing some other significant things around the house.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:30 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Yes, he should have major chores at that age. And if the adults in the house are doing a major cleaning for company or any reason, he should be right there doing his share and not lounging around.

Answer by Bmat at 10:30 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Oh yea, both of my kids have chores. I have an 11 yr old and a 4 yr old.
    monkeedork

Answer by monkeedork at 10:33 PM on Jul. 5, 2010