Any moms out there going to school? How do you handle kids and schoolwork?

I'm having a baby two weeks before the fall semester starts and I'm debating on wether or not to go to school for that semester. I'll be having a c section, so there's recovery to that....and I have a DD who is 3 and 18 m/o twin boys. I dont' want to start and then be an emotional/mental trainwreck.....Has anyone ever had to go to school under such strenuous(sp?) circumstances?

CAGirl4

Asked by CAGirl4 at 10:36 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in

• I started graduate school full time when my oldest was 5 and my youngest had just turned 1. I also worked full time. I went to school two nights a week, because I thought that was a better fit for me than online classes. If you are actually going to class, I think it's easier before your children are in school; my daughter's school schedules everything on Thursday nights, which was one of my class nights, so I had to miss some of her events at school. I studied at night, during lunch at work, and during my son's naps on weekends.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:24 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I went back to school when my daughter was a year old. I find that online classes are the best way, as you can do them during naptime and after baby goes down for the night. I wish I had taken classes sooner, because looking back I really had a lot of free time in first months of her life. I am a single mom who works and goes to school part time. You can do it too!
    babywhatnow

Answer by babywhatnow at 10:41 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Also most Universitys offer online and classroom based courses. Beware of some of the online only schools!
    babywhatnow

Answer by babywhatnow at 10:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I have a 4 and 7 year old, I get most of my work once they're in bed or while I'm at work.
    kira25

Answer by kira25 at 10:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I went back to school as a single mom of 3 kids. Yes, it's difficult and it involves some sleepless nights (which will be numerous with a newborn anyway!). I personally would take the semester off, or at least only do one class maybe online, so you have time to devote to your infant and get all your kids on a schedule that works for everyone, then start back full time in the spring.

Answer by missanc at 5:17 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I do online classes. I started my spring semester last year the DAY after I had my second son. It's hard. I do most of my work during nap time and after bed time. I just have to plan it out to make sure I get it all done before the end of the week.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:53 AM on Jul. 6, 2010