Do your children have Religiously based names, and if so what are they?

And if they do, did you do it intentionally?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:46 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• We looked up the meanings of the names, but besides that, they're English.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:48 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• i'm pregnant and if it's a boy it will be David. but it's really just after my dad.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:48 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My child closest to having a religious is my youngest Angel Gabrielle
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 10:48 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• We have one child with a religious based name. His name is David. He was named after my brother.
    Red54

Answer by Red54 at 10:49 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• We looked for a non-religious name for my daughter and came up with Tess (mutation of a Welcome to Tennessee sign we saw, lol).

Hubs and I are both of European decent with an English last name, so this variant of Theresa (meaning Harvester) was right up our alley.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:51 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I don't think my eldest does but my youngest could. Her name is Maria which is a version of Mary. I didn't name her for any religious reasoning though. I named both after a common theme. Audrey Hepburn/character played by Hepburn for the first name and the middle name being a female Character from a Shakespeare play.

Audrey Thaisa is my eldest. -obviously after Audrey Hepburn herself and Thaisa was the queen in Shakespeare's "Pericles"

Maria Isabella - Hepburn played Marian in "Robin and Marian" and Maria is a derived from "Marian". Isabella from Shakespeare's "Measure for Measure"

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Our kids have Biblical names but they are named after people not just because they are from the Bible - Harrison JAMES, ANDREW Warren and MARY Catherine.
    Dh and his siblings all have Bible names, their mom chose them because they are Bible names - Benjamin, Rachel, David, Rebekah, Matthew, and Abigail.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 10:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Neither of my older two Children have names which have a real basis in religion - although loosely they COULD.

My oldest's name is Alexander... Although the name itself isn't religiously based, Alexander the Great is one of the worlds most well known Pagans... But, even at that there isn't any real religious meaning... He was named after my grandfather. The name itself means "Warrior" and comes from the original title given to Hera, the Goddess...

My youngest's name is Hunter. Which has a pretty basic meaning. And of course, again, COULD have a religious meaning if you really work at it. Being many Pagans have a "Hunter God." - He's named after my DH.

Neither were intentional...

I am pregnant with number 3, and we are hoping for a girl. I would like to name her Sophia. Which DOES have a religious meaning. It means "Female Wisdom" and was the name of the goddess worshiped by the Knights Templar (supposedly).

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Only one ...David....but I didn't name him because it was a Biblical name. We just liked it.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I have an Aaron and a Noah. I did not name them from the bible though. I simply love the names.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:58 PM on Jul. 5, 2010