A question about down votes?

Why is it we can see who has given us up votes, but we cannot see who has given us down votes? And if the down votes don't take points away (I don't know if they do), then what exactly is the point of allowing down voting?

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 10:49 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in About CafeMom

• Down votes take away points immediately if it's an anon answer and after -5 with a named answer. Their reasoning for hiding them is so people will use them without fear of retaliation. Which means, instead, people are using them for pre-emptive first strikes. They're also pointless. Vote down a truly bad answer and sooner or later someone will come along and vote it back up either out of sympathy or because they're friends. No biggie when the original vote down was for spite, but when it's actually a bad idea (as in illegal or dangerous) it still gets voted back up.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:28 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I understand that they put the down vote thing there for when people post bad or rude answers, but it's become a popularity contest. For example, I posted an answer that was neither bad or rude and 5 people voted it down because it wasn't what everyone else was saying. Pretty ridiculous.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 11:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Yeah, down votes take away point(s). I don't why you cant see who votes you down. I haven't got voted down YET lol. So...idk???, maybe it's to avoid conflict on here.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 10:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Not being able to see who votes you down is probably to prevent retribution from the person you voted down &/or her friends. It's probably CM's way of heading off drama.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I would assume (and hope) that down votes would take away points/credits....but like you, I dont know for sure. It would only make sense that it would, because up voting gives you points.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Once you get either 5 or 6 down votes then that is when you start losing points. Also your reply is some what hidden. It is good that you can't see who down votes you that way there is no retaliation.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 11:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• i think you should be able to see who votes you down, anyways this new system is stupid IMO. its all about getting the most points not answering questions because you really want to.
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 11:25 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• the manual to this game said it was to mark a bad or rude answer
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 10:51 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I'd guess it's so you don't get revenge and voting all their answers down.
    You do loose points after so many down votes on the same answer. I don't recall off the top of my head how many, but I'm thinking 3 points after 6 down votes and the answer is hidden after 8 or 9.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:57 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Their reasoning for hiding them is so people will use them without fear of retaliation. Which means, instead, people are using them for pre-emptive first strikes.

This is exactly the situation.  For some reason I thought that down votes were to be used when a post didn't necessarily violate guidelines but was still in that grey area.  Instead an opinion was expressed that wasn't lock-step with the OP's and the member with the differing opinion started getting down votes.  I don't even think her post was in the grey area.  Anyhow, it got me thinking and I figured I would ask to see what the rule on down voting was and if there was even a point to doing it.  I have to admit, I don't really get the point.  If they are used pre-emptively they really aren't avoiding conflict, whether you know who did it or not. 

QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 8:43 AM on Jul. 6, 2010