How often after i am ovulating do I have to have sex in order to get pregnant? What is the secret to getting pregnant?

kellyf2398

Asked by kellyf2398 at 10:58 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• The best thing that I was told when I was TTC, was NOT TO TRY. And it worked!!! My husband and I were trying for quite a while, and he got laid off and we decided to put TTC on hold, and that is when we ended up getting pregnant!!!
    mistical_me

Answer by mistical_me at 11:00 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• There is no set number of times you need to have sex after you ovulate.....if you're going to get pregnant it only takes one time. The best time and easiest time to get pregnant is halfway through your cycle (which would put you right at the time you ovulate). There is no secret to getting pregnant. Some women are more fertile than others and they have a much easier time getting pregnant. My family used to joke that all my husband had to do was look at me and I would get pregnant (could be because I conceived all 3 of my kids while using some form of birth control).
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 11:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• It's actually best to try to time sex for BEFORE you ovulate- have sex frequently in the days leading up to expected ovulation. After you ovulate it's generally too late for the sperm to catch the egg- the egg lives only 24 hours or so after ovulation takes place. It's much better to have the sperm there waiting for the egg when it pops out of the ovary!

I highly recommend the book 'Taking Charge of Your Fertility' by Toni Weschler for a really great read on understanding your body, your cycle, and the clues your body gives you about when you are most fertile. I read it as an adult having issues ttc and was totally shocked at how little I understood my body and how that was affecting my ttc efforts!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• You want to have sex BEFORE you ovulate so that the sperm will be there to catch the egg. The egg only lives about 12 hours once released but the sperm live 2-5 days. Your best bet is to know your fertility signals and go by those.
    luvmycutebaby

Answer by luvmycutebaby at 11:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I agree with everyone else. Have sex before and during ovulation. They have kits now that can tell you exactly when you ovulate and when your most fertile days are. I think you can get them at most drugstores. If you are able and willing to have sex often, DO IT! The more you have sex, the more chances you have of getting pregnant. It only takes 1 time so every time you have sex, there is a chance. There is no secret to getting pregnant. It just happens easily for some, and not so easily for others.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:07 PM on Jul. 5, 2010