Strep throat?

So how do you know if you have strep throat and should see a doctor?

My throat hurts to swallow a little but not too bad. More annoying than anything. It felt like I maybe had some food stuck behind my tonsil. Well, I looked and it's bleeding a little (but that co uld be cuz I irritated it) and there was some white spots on that tonsil. DH saw it too. So should I probably see a doctor about it? Or do you think I am ok?

chelleybeans

Asked by chelleybeans at 10:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Health

• Ususally strep is often mistake for tonsilitis. Tonsilitis usually occurs with redness to the back of the throat and trouble swallowing. This is caused by a viral infection so antibiotics will not cure it but will go away on its own. Strep can be treated with medicine but usually you see white spots on the back of your throat. This is a sign of strep and a swab of the spots by the doctor will confirm this. With strep you will not feel well and may have a fever. Tonsilitis you may have no other symptoms but the sore throat so going to the doctor may be a waste of time since viral infections go away on its own
    lawmom27

Answer by lawmom27 at 11:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I think you should gargle with salty water (2 tablespoons dissolved in8 ounces) after every meal and before bed and it will feel better in 3 days-- I also think you should go to the doctor if you have a fever greater then 101
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Sore throat with no coughing or congestion, headache, low to mid grade fever, nausea and-or vomiting. Ki just got over it and these were her symptoms. Her dr said the headache, sore throat in absense of coughing or nasal drainage-congestion and fever are the big tip offs.
    Hope you feel better soon.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Could be tonsilitis, not strep. Strep would be white streaks down the back of your throat. The white spots could be that crud that your tonsils release. Try some chloroseptic spray and see how you feel in the morning! If it gets worse, go to the doc! Good luck! Hope you feel better!
    mistical_me

Answer by mistical_me at 11:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Yeah I have no other symptoms at all. I feel fine besides my throat hurting a tad and being uncomfortable! Thanks guys for the answers!!!
    chelleybeans

Comment by chelleybeans (original poster) at 11:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• See your doctor, I recently came down with it and thought could be nothing but if I had waited the doctor said it would have gotten worse
    liltiger86

Answer by liltiger86 at 11:07 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• That's not strep. That's probably viral. Unless you get bad sick, you don't need to go to the dr until you've been sick 10 days. A virus would have run it's course by then. Strep throat hurts horribly bad. You won't even want to swallow water with strep and it comes with a high fever (I ran 105.7 with Strep as a grown adult). The tell tale sign of strep is your tongue looks like a strawberry, very red with the dark dots like the seeds on the outside of a strawberry.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:07 PM on Jul. 5, 2010