gimme your best rice and beans recipe...also other spanish/mexican food

i love good home cooking and i cook for my fiance and me every night. he told me recently that he loves rice and beans. i've never cooked that before but i wanna try cause i feel he deserves it. so what are some great rice and beans recipes....also other mexican/spanish food recipes are welcome...except tacos cause i already have my own recipe we both love....thanks :)

aliishott2

Asked by aliishott2 at 11:12 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Pinto beans- get about a 1lbs. bag and pour into a strainer, look for broken beans or small rock like things and throw them out. Rinse the beans very well and put them into the crock pot add about 5 cups of water and turn it up to high and let cook. I usually start them around 9-10 am and there done by 5pm. Add garlic salt, or reg. salt and pepper, add water as needed.

White rice- add oil to a pan and add rice and lightly brown. Add water and tomato sauce add garlic salt, pepper, maybe some chili powder(red) and cover and simmer until rice is tender. Add a littler water at a time as needed to keep the rice steaming.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 11:17 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• *Chicken Enchilada Casserole*
    start by cooking a box of Chicken flavored Rice A Roni according to the directions on the box. Mix together cooked rice, 3 cups cooked chicken breast (I use canned chicken to make it easier!), 2 small cans green chilies (optional), 1 can cream of chicken soup, 8 oz tub of sour cream, 1 can chicken broth (I usually use half the can of broth, otherwise it's runnier than I want it), 1 can diced tomatos (optional). Pour into a greased casserole dish, top with shredded cheese, bake for 30 mins at 350. Top with a can of French's fried onions, bake for another five mins. It's really good just as a casserole, but we like to wrap in up in soft tortillas and add a bit more cheese and a dollop of guacamole. Even my hubby loves this one, and he's picky about things that aren't a slap of meat :)
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 11:30 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Go to your local library and pick up a cookbook by Rick Bayless.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:03 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I make rice by substituting picante sauce for the water and add a little chopped cilatro. When it is done, keep warm. Then I drain and heat some black beans in the microwave to top the rice. Simple and really good as a side or as a meal.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:31 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• That should say substitute picante sauce for PART of (a litle more than half) the water.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:33 AM on Jul. 6, 2010