How do I regain respect?

my 6yr old boy lives with me half the time and i think his father is telling him bad stuff about me,so now all me and my son do is fight,so he has no respect for me,what do i do now?

Cassiopeia

Asked by Cassiopeia at 11:24 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i only answer this because im young soo it MIGHT help, but i used to hate my mom alot but when i got older i realized everything she did was to make me a better person. as long as what the father is telling him isnt true i think that when he gets older he will realize that daddy was just telling him those things to hurt you. just dont press the issue i'd say and act like everything is okay
    mcdonaldm9696

Answer by mcdonaldm9696 at 11:27 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Im so sorry! That so stinks! I was a child in the same situatuation and it takes year and years but the parent who continually does the next right thing and does not bad mouth the other is the one who has the respect in the end. Tell your child how much you love him each day and dont bad mouth back! As hard as it may be. THE ONLY PERSON YOU HURT BY BADMOUTHING IS THE CHILD!!! Trust me I know! Best of luck
    EmandMike

Answer by EmandMike at 11:28 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I would talk to his dad and let him know that he is hurting the child you have together. That is a pretty mean thing to do.

If you have a custody agreement through court you may want to let them know. Usually part of the agreement is no disparaging remarks about the other parent. Maybe if they talk to him he'll listen. Good luck.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 11:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Why are you an dyour son fighting? Has your son said what his father is saying to him? You have to make sure not to bad mouth the father regardless in front of your son even though that may be what the dad is doing. I would have a talk with the father and tell him that anything negative he has to say about you should be said to you not your son. He does not need to hear negative things about either parent and can do psychological damage.
    lawmom27

Answer by lawmom27 at 11:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Hey, so I guess I can relate a bit. My man has his daughter only every other weekend from sat morning to sun afternoon. When we started dating he warned me that when we would see his daughter (7 yo) she would be acting up and all for the first 30 min or an hour or so (I know it is not the same as half a year, but in perspective when you have her for one day only out of two whole weeks... every minute counts!!!). I could notice that the mother would be saying bad things about her dad and family so she would act up believing it. We just politely asked her not to be rude with whatever action or words she chose and we were ourselves. It only took a few months but she realized her mother has just been saying things that are not true, and that her daddy is an awesome man, and she even loves me!!! So keep your cool, be respectful, just set clear rules about respect from him. He will notice on his own. Oh, & i agree with lawmom
    Nathanaeli

Answer by Nathanaeli at 11:43 PM on Jul. 14, 2010