• In the Spotlight:

Teaching phone numbers, etc.

I am trying to teach my daughter (3) our phone number and address. We go over and over it. But she doesnt seem to want to learn. Is there anyway to make it fun to her?

Decker

Asked by Decker at 11:57 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I agree make it a game. 3 is pretty young to learn. As long as they know their full name and phone number..INCLUDING area code by the time they start school it's all good. I stress the area code because of Steven Staynor. He was abducted at 7 and held for about 7 or 8 years. Two different times he got access to a phone. He knew the number..but not the area code or the name of his town and the operator couldn't help him. I remember an interview his Mom did and it was a huge regret for her. Nobody wants to think about their child being lost or abducted..but it happens. All we can do is arm them with knowledge.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:04 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Make a song. We just sang the first three numbers together and then the next four together in the same pattern. We would just sing it randomly, so our kids just learned it without too much fuss.
    I found when I was trying to "teach" them, that they had no interest in it, but when it was a fun little song, he loved it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• "What is your phone number? 555 {pause} 5555." We sang it several times a day and with in a month he knew it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:00 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My three year old knows his phone number, address and full name.

If you make it fun, they will remember it.

Thanks for the tip grneyedgrandma. I will start add the area code tomorrow.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:09 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My daughter learned both when she was 4. For the phone # I let her practice on my cell. She got to call me and then we would talk for a little before hanging up.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 12:10 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• i let my boys call the house number on my cell phone.
    And for the address, we would actually go outside and read the street sign and then the numbers on our house.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:12 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Different children have different learning styles. Some learn by hearing it over and over, some learn by seeing it over and over, some learn by writing it, etc. You have to figure out your child's learning style or find a way to incorporate all the possible ways she could learn it. Post it up on the frig, have her trace the numbers on paper, letting her dial it is a great suggestion! Don't stress out about it, eventually she will catch on.

Answer by missanc at 5:34 AM on Jul. 6, 2010