chickenpox vaccination?

what is that all about i didnt even know the doctor was giving my baby a chicken pox vacc until it was over but i dont want one for my daughter. Why are they giving vacc for chickenpox now i mean i remember pox partys so everyone on the blcok can get them at the same time now they dont want anyone to get them whats up with that!!

hsammygirl

Asked by hsammygirl at 12:15 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Kids' Health

• yeah, that's one of the vacs I refuse to have done. It's not even a permanent vaccine anyways! Chicken pox is uncomfortable but not life threatening. I understand vaccinating against life threatening, but some itchy spots... I'll pass.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:16 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• A lot of kids have an uneventful bout with chickenpox..or used to. There are some that have massive reactions, get secodary infection and even die. My youngest son was hospitalized for 8 days with chicken pox. He had to be intubated because they were causing swelling in his throat. I had my grandkids vaxed as soon as they were old enough. If I never see a kid with them again it will be too soon.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:18 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Don't you have to sign a consent form for the vaccines? Everytime my son gets a vaccine, I have to sign a form stating that I understand the effects, and realize what they are giving him. But yes I agree, this vaccine is stupid and unnecessary. I will be opting out of it for my son. I have heard they only require it for schools now because they don't want kids getting chicken pox and missing a bunch of school days...not good enough of a reason in my opinion. And I've also heard that if you get the vaccine, you can still get the chicken pox numerous times throughout your life. That the vaccine provides no immunity, only makes the cases really mild, but then because the cases are mild, the body doesn't develop a natural immunity either. Seems to me like that would result in MORE absences from school over the years, than getting it naturally and being gone for a week and immune after that.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:21 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• They wouldn't let me opt out of that vaccination if I wanted to be aqble to get hourly care for my son. Which I had to have since my husband was deployed and my DS couldn't come to my OB visits with me. Guess what? The freaking vaccine (taht I didn't even want to get) GAVE my son the chicken pox. WTF was the point? Luckily I had the chicken pox when I was little or else that could have been really bad for the baby I was pregnant with.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 12:21 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• You have to sign a consent form before they give your child a vaccine! My kids all 4 had it and 2 of them still got the chicken pox anyway - so it was a pointless process for them.

Answer by missanc at 4:46 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• The vaccine is used to lessen the effects of the chickenpox virus should a child come down with it. It does NOT guarantee they won't get it. And though rare it can be life threatening. So at least you got it out of the way. Now your child gets to wait for it to rear it's ugly head again. The same virus that causes chickenpox will cause shingles later in life as the immune system weakens. If this is a vaccine you don't want your child to have tell your pediatricain because they will want to do a booster in another year or so. I can't remeber the exact time frame of the booster.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:48 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• The booster is at 10 yrs, and they are unsure if more boosters will be needed or not. It vax was introduced for use in the USA in 1995 or 1996. One of the adverse side effects of it thus far has been shingles later on. Please fully read what you sign. Sometimes "special" care isn't worth it.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• you can google vaccine schedule and not be caught offguard again!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• It's for the convenience of the parent... they don't want to miss work to deal with a sick child for a week. That's really a selfish reason to me personally though. Instead of letting your child get this naturally and have life long immunity, you are pumping toxins grown on aborted fetal tissue (http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/B/excipient-table-1.pdf) and they will have to get those boosters for the rest of their lives. If they don't get it, then lets hope they aren't exposed to chicken pox at an older age...when we all know how dangerous they are.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 11:46 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Yes, like Autumn22 said ... there was a study years ago about the number of hours and $$$ lost due to mother's having to stay home and care for their kids when they had chicken pox. Big pharma saw a golden opportunity and developed a round of chicken pox vaccines that eventually made it's way onto the vaccination schedule. The vaccine was meant to help big business and big pharma ... that's it!

The vaccine came out about the time my son 6; I refused it though all my friends chose to have it for their kids (I was the only SAHM at the time, hmmm?). I've refused it for my DD as well.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:01 AM on Jul. 7, 2010