Sex in Late Pregnancy?!

Did you have sex the last few weeks of your pregnancy and did it help to get labor going? I haven't had sex at all this pregnancy, and im in the final stretch, just wondering if any of you had any luck with sex starting your labor. I've heard it works. And I've heard it doesn't. Just looking for reinforcements lol. if it.did help, how long after did you start to contract and or your water break? I'm not sure if I'm dilated or not, this is my 2nd and last, and I'm ready for it to be over! I can't take the 100 degree heat lol.

KaylaMarie425

Asked by KaylaMarie425 at 12:33 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It didn't help me, AT ALL- Lol.
    My OB/GYN's receptionist even told me to go as far as to get a vibrator and sit on it and rock on a rocking chair, I tried, and tried, and tired ROTF. I didn't work either.
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 12:40 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Semen contains hormones that help soften and ready the cervix for labor. Statistically, women who have an active sex life have pregnancies that are a few days shorter in duration than women who don't. Also, swallowing semen seems to be effective in readying the cervix, so if sex is uncomfortable, that may be an option for you.

Howcome you haven't had any sex? I feel bad! lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:40 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I had lots of sex throughout my pregnancies. The first two I was induced, but with the third I went into labor on my own. My contractions started at 8am and were 5 minutes apart all day. They stayed the same in frequency and duration. At 6pm I told my husband he better have sex with me and to make sure I came. We did it, I got a nice big O. I stayed in the bed for 30 minutes and my contractions got more intense and sped up. By 10pm I went to the hospital and he was born a few hours later.

My sil is a L&D nurse and when moms come in and their labors stall, she tells them to go have sex in the bathroom. She said of those that do about 50% thier labors kick into gear. But she said a lot of couple opt not to and they end up going home.

So I think it works if you are already in labor or close to labor, but just having sex isn't going to cause you go into labor.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:48 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• It didn't seem to do anything for me. My fiance and I had sex the last few weeks of my pregnancy but nothing noticable happened after any escapade. I was 50% effaced and not dialted at all for weeks. Then one morning I just started having contractions! I think a lot of the things that people think "work" for making the baby come, just happens to be right around the time the baby was planning on coming anywyas. Haha.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:05 AM on Jul. 6, 2010