My dr. told me I have placenta previa, I'm having uterine contractions (after any activity) that are very intense at times, but go away with rest. I'm 23 weeks preg.

I drink a lot of water now because at first I thought it could have been brought on by dehydration , or over excertion. However I know that for the last week I have been hydrated, and simple tasks like going upstairs or picking up a kids toy, or even sitting up too long sets them off. Is it too early for braxton-hicks? Could this be related to the placenta previa? I have 3 other young children one of which I had heavy bleeding with after lifting baggage on a flight. Should I be on bedrest, or just ignore the contractions, and back pain? I'm calling my doc tomorrow, just wanting some peace of mind or proper warning if it could be serious. Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I am also 23 weeks and I have been having noticeable Braxton-Hicks contractions for several weeks now. It's normal and you feel them earlier in subsequent pregnancies. This is my 5th pregnancy.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:46 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Not too early for braxton hicks, especially in a fourth pregnancy. That's what it sounds like to me. It's probably not related at all to the previa. And no, you shouldn't be on bedrest! Bedrest is serious stuff and it's not healthy at all. It should only be used if it MUST be used to keep mom and/or baby safe.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:43 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• With my first pregnancy I had plasenta previa, I was sick from day one, I spotted from the begining, I went into labor at 20 weeks, I walked up the stairs carrying stuff next day I went into labor started out something like braxton hicks (so they told me) then the contractions were closer and closer and I deliverd him, went into labor monday night and deliverd thurdays afternoon. I went to the L&B several times neither they or my Dr. was of any help they told me my pain was all in my head and when my water broke they said that was just a urine infection. If I was you I would take it easy I know it's hard with kids but do only minimum amount of work and just relax relax and relax some more. Good luck momma and take it easy
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:59 AM on Jul. 6, 2010